SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
florey_gw

Mealies gone off Clivia ! Scented geranium leaves - mostly

florey
17 years ago

Has anyone else noticed scented geraniums [pelargoniums] working against mealybugs?

I lost 2 clivia last winter, helplessly tryng all kinds of home remedies, some of which the clivia didn't like, especially when put deep. A heavy spray [and wiping with wet papertowels], of rubbing alcohol, was too strong. A 40/60 vinegar & water spray in a window cleaner bottle works on the mealies on most of my unusual tropicals, but was too strong or acidic, for the clivia. There would be some success for a few weeks then... I use the above white vinegar spray a lot, on plants, for bugs, fungus, and diseases, and it is unusually effective. Later it worked to demealy the area, when sprayed all over the place -in say, a 6'radius, and at crevices. This was done 3 times over the summer.

When the weather got warm enough to put the tropicals outside, this time the clivia went too. It had a perfect spot, mostly shady, and a little wild. It was set out on it's side, to keep wet out of the leaves until it got acclimated and, to make it easier for garden bugs to get in and hunt mealies. After a week+, when the clivia leaves had hydrated a bit, the plants got some week fert., and some warmed Neem oil [the pure oil] with a dash of dish soap, in a bucket batch. The first pitcherful [with the most Neem] went on the crown of the clivia, [the epis, and some needful others, with various nonmealy woes]. this was repeated 4 days and a week later, then at intervals. Mealies went way down. It got a couple of squirts of vinegar water or alcohol, occasionally, too. They were better tolerated by a happy plant, outside, where there is higher humidity, and ideal light.

I have a bunch of scenteds that had seemed to keep mealies from a nearby schefflera, completely off the tropicals in the windowsill. Moving a Dean's Delight or a lemon, or rose, etc., next to infested plants, cured them. Two things about scenteds, they need drying leaves removed, and they may carry a disease that is lethal to fancy nonscented geraniums. Well, if scented geranium plants can get rid of mealies, why not use their leaves [in my hand], on the poor, unhappy, clivia?

The clivia got a surplus scented g. neighbor, nestled at it's base and a handful full of green and/or brown leaves in between its straps, replaced every couple of weeks. It had looked good for a few weeks before I brought it in. It got a couple of Neem baths and came in when the nights got down into the 40s. Although it's back in it's same spot [now re-treated], it was surrounded by scenteds this time. It's been 6 months now and there has been no sign..... I'm hoping for the best. Last winter things would look up for a couple of weeks, then....

Used: Scented geraniums, Neem oil, 40/60 white vinegar & water spray, and alcohol spray. The first 2, seemed better tolerated by the plant.

Neem oil is a little fussy, it needs to be warmed, and has a persistent garlicky oder. I prefer to use it outside.

The vinegar spray is good used as a light mist, it may BOOST the effect of the scenteds, but is too harsh as a soaking spray. It is easy to use, and the scent goes away in 15 or 20 minutes. There were no mealies on any living room plants, when they went out this spring.

Good Luck ! I would be very interested to hear if you have success with scented Geraniums [Pelargoniums], against mealy bugs. Right now, it's just one person's experience and experimentation.

Comments (16)

Sponsored
Rodriguez Construction Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading Home Builders in Franklin County, OH