SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vonbonleroux

Aloe: Make Cuttings or Will I Kill It?

VonBonLeroux
12 years ago

I have an aloe plant that is thriving on my kitchen windowsill. The problem is that it has gotten too tall for its pot and will soon topple. I read through the FAQs and found a website that has a great tutorial on dividing aloes, but all the info I've found directs one to divide off "pups" or offshoots. My aloe does not have any pups/offsets/babies at the root base. It is just one tall stem. I think it will look bad if I take leaves off, but the other option is to have it topple/break. I don't want to just re-pot it in a larger pot because that will necessitate moving it outside. We get freezes in the winter and I don't want to have to "baby" it through the winter. I've had some nice, big aloes die in the past because of frost. I've started over and I'd like this one or a smaller plant from it to stay inside on the windowsill if possible.

My goal is to cut off "leaves" and start them in new pots. How can I do this? I read I should not simply cut the top off because it will have no roots. Since it has no pups, should I just cut one or two of the lower leaves off? Should I then place those onto the potting medium (cactus mix), secure with gravel, and mist? Or should I lay them out on a dry surface for a few weeks before potting? Options for laying out are a dry, hot garage, partial sun, full sun or a warm room in our house.

Thank you in advance! I really want to learn how to divide and propagate succulents and cacti the right way. And I'm enjoying this aloe specimen a lot; I don't want to kill it or make it look ugly.

Comments (38)