SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
meyermike_1micha

Would you sacrifice new growth to avoid pests?

meyermike_1micha
15 years ago

I went to a nursery the other day and asked to see all their citrus they had.

They told me they had leftovers from the fall, but they looked terrible because they pluck ALL the leaves off of them in order to avoid spidermites, mealybugs, and a host of other insects eating the new growth. They said that they try to force their trees into dormancy, and try to keep them this way, leaving them in the coolest room with less light, and lack of watering, and yet they still want to put out new growth. They are constantly plucking off any new growth that appears..You should see them, they are all BARE.

Would you defoliate your trees, or at least pluck all the flush of growth off?

Does this makes sense? I ask, because everytime any of MY citrus trees start to push new growth, such as my "lemon meyer" as of yesterday, it never fails that some of the new growth falls off, or curls, or tiny buds drop due to tiny mites, no matter how vigorous I am at spraying.. Of course I am constantly spraying to keep up with them, but it seems to me, the only time I do not have any pest problem, nor have to spray, is when there is no new growth.

Would you keep plucking off all new growth, and just keep old growth, until you can stick them outside? Or is this a bad idea? What would you do? Or would you just do the best you can to keep most mites away,and just watch as the ones you can not seem to kill, attack a bit of the new growth, and say, the hell with it?

Thanks so much for any help on this one.

Right now my "lemon meyer" has tons of new growth developing, while at the same time, it is being attacked by these almost microscopic mites. I am loosing brand new shoots and baby buds while many of the new growth seems to be avoiding these critters.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH