SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aezarien

Sudden Decline of a Few Garden Plants.

aezarien
14 years ago

Everything, as one would expect with the lack of rain, really struggled last year. This spring however everything came up beautifully and performed beyond anything I would have expected. Over the past week I have started seeing issues with some things though.

Every variety of Dianthus I had in the ground was just as full, green and full of blooms as one would expect from a healthy specimen then all of a sudden the leaves started yellowing and getting little brown spots on the leaves. The new growth seems healthy but they are getting stringy and nasty looking.

My miniature roses are usually full of pretty green leaves but several stalks have turned brown, died back, and it is loosing leaves. They are still producing beautiful blooms but they just pretty much look like sticks with flowers on the end.

The Stella d'Oro Daylilies also have a crowd of blooms on them but the bottom leaves are developing yellow streaks through them and the pill bugs are starting to find them interesting. This is only one patch of daylilies though. Others planted other places seem to be doing fine.

My Dr. Huey Rose bush is also developing spots much like the ones on the Dianthus, yellow and dropping leaves, and looking scraggly.

The only thing all three have in common that I know of is that all of them had more blooms on them this year (and earlier)than I have ever seen on that type of plant anywhere and they are all planted in amended clay soil and are mulched. We have received more rain in the past two weeks than I think we received all summer last year and I have not fed anything yet.

I have started clipping back some of the blooms so these plants can concentrate on foliage health. Sound like anything familiar to anyone else and any suggestions on how to proceed?

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County