SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
texas_annie

Orange or similar in lawn -- need recommendation!

Texas_Annie
18 years ago

Hi, all! We are in an area that does pretty well with citrus in general (very few hard freezes in our microclimate - some years we don't get any), and I would like to try either an orange tree, a tangerine, or clementine in our front yard. (I *really* want the clementine! But have heard they are temperamental.) The area gets sun all day and is somewhat sheltered from winds. We have black adobe clay soil here (very nutritious for plants but rotten drainage). I have had good luck with other trees that require good drainage simply by adding some perlite when I plant it, and making sure that the tree is actually 3 or 4" above the average soil line (mounding up, I mean).

The problem is this: I have heard that most oranges etc. want deep watering, less frequently. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good variety that will tolerate being in a lawn area, where it will get watered a couple of times a week along with the lawn? I really don't have any other good place to situate this, and I'd love an orange or tangerine or clementine here. (Please don't recommend a Meyer lemon instead. I want something that I can eat out of hand, not have to cook or process to use.)

Thanks for any ideas or tips on how to make this work!!

~Annie

Comments (6)