SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ejr2005

Newbie Needs Advice for Winter

15 years ago

Hi everyone. I just found out that the plant cuttings I got from a friend in Texas a couple of years ago are Brumansias. It's so nice having a name.

I live in eastern Massachusetts, and have been keeping them inside in the winter. But they have gotten what I think are aphid infestations. The soap solutions I sprayed on them pretty much destroyed the leaves, so I finally cut them to the ground. When I put them outside in the spring they come back and even usually get a few blooms which makes it all worthwhile.

I've already brought them inside this year - we had a night in the 30's. Not sure what to do now - let them go dormant or try to keep them in the sunroom for the winter. And if I keep them in the sunroom, should I cut them back, and/or try to deal with the insects some other way. For dormancy, all we have are a heated house, or an unheated garage. I'm afraid the unheated garage might get too cold for them.

Here's the one that just finished blooming -

{{gwi:554311}}

It has some nice Y's so I'd hate to lose that and go back to square one in the spring.

Here's th other one -

{{gwi:554312}}

It's about 3 1/2' tall but has no Y's and no blooms this year. It does have a side shoot -

{{gwi:554313}}

Should I cut this off?

I also realized that I haven't been fertilizing them enough. If I keep them in the sunroom for the winter, how should I fertilize?

Thanks everyone for any guidance you can give me. THese are both NOIDs so I guess it's not so critical. But I really like them and the fact that they were gifts and a little bit of Texas that we have in MA.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES