SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
queerbychoice

Living in Terror of the Coming Winter

queerbychoice
13 years ago

My garden has made extremely major progress in 2010 so far, if I do say so myself. However, it's still fall yet, and I know that when the worst of the winter flooding arrives (usually around New Year's), I'm likely to start losing plants. I'm just trying to fend off the terror that when this happens, my garden will revert all the way back to looking as ugly as it did at the beginning of 2010. It could happen! It's pretty much what did happen last winter - I started gardening here in 2008, and by the end of 2009 I had hardly any surviving plants to show for it. But I've tried harder than ever this year to choose only plants that are supposed to be able to handle spending a few months underwater. I really want to believe that my efforts will pay off, but the Day of Garden Reckoning is fast approaching.

This is how my garden looked in late December 2009, after more than a year of attempting to grow plants in it:

{{gwi:521856}}

And this is how it looks now:

{{gwi:564971}}

So I guess you can see why I'm having trouble fending off the terror that my garden will revert to what it looked like last winter. That first picture was scary enough to leave lasting scars! So I suppose I need some reassurance. Promise me that the fact that last winter killed half the plants in my yard doesn't mean that this winter will do the same thing!

Maybe it would help if you could show me some before and after pictures of your gardens in winter. I want proof that a garden can improve greatly from one winter to the next.

Comments (15)