{{gwi:568851}}

{{gwi:568853}}

{{gwi:568855}}

Iris Nightfall

{{gwi:568857}}

Comments (60)

• rainbow_2007
    16 years ago

The east side of the house pic the one before the foamflower pic, I guess it's Homestead Verbena. I thought that was Lobelia next to the phlox in that same pic. I was tempted to get one at Lowe's but got three Grace Ward Lithodora instead...sooo yummy. I have clay hope they do fine.

• alicia7b
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yes, that's Homestead Verbena. Next time I'm at Lowe's I'll have to check and see if there's any Lithodora.

• Related Discussions

Spring pic and Summer pic of one of my Basjoos

Q

Comments (9)
    well i had to pot them there only about a foot high. I have them in about a 10" pot and i have another one thats about 18"-20" high and about that round too, that will be its home in a few weeks as it gets bigger. I dint have a garden since i'm renting, but hopefully by next year they and i will have a new home.. jen
    ...See More

My Spring Garden Pics ... Start of 3rd year

Q

Comments (7)
    I love flagstone paths did you have to buy the stone or did you have them kicking around, I put a small one in early last year with the stone that used to edge our goldfish pool, took that out as it was getting a bit too much to look after. When your beds fill in it's going to look lovely. Annette
    ...See More

new random pics spring!!! spring!!! spring!!!

Q

Comments (8)
    thank you all soooo much! i appreciate all of the comments! tropiczone- no the tres havent started budding yet but i suppose soon they will as tonight is the last night near the 30s. im soo glad! all the bulbs are coming up and you can def see the sun is out much longer and it is higher! Mrs. Laura- thanks so much! tropical smoothies for a hard worker like you? ANYTIME! haha we love seeing you drive by, your help, encouragement, knowledge...everything you have done to help us! Mr Hardy- thanks a lot for the nice comments, just a lot of time and hard work, but it will all pay off! thanks to everyone again -Justin in Vb
    ...See More

More new Jake and Mio pics-3 pics

Q

Comments (12)
    Yes, they are beautiful children! The earlier comment about how you can see why they are so beautiful by looking at the parents reminded me of a scene in NCIS where some of the folks were using a computer program to see how a child produced by Gibbs and the director would look :-)
    ...See More
  • alicia7b
    Original Author
    16 years ago

{{gwi:568880}}

Homestead and Blue Princess verbena

{{gwi:568881}}

Apple tree buds

{{gwi:568882}}

Atamasco lily

{{gwi:568883}}

{{gwi:568885}}

• rosebush
    16 years ago

Alicia, you may have already mentioned it somewhere in one of the threads, but please tell my what kind of camera you are using. Your pics are gorgeous! :) Thanks!

• tamelask
    16 years ago

Alicia, I've had one of those pale a. canadensis bloom before- it lasted about 3 yrs before it died last year. Has yours come true from seed? Mine has some babies coming, but i won't see bloom til next year. That one always got powdery mildew, though. My regular cana is trying to take over- need to dig a bunch of it and relocate because i don't like the red and yellow with some of the fuchsia and purple shades i have in certain spots. It seems to be the most promiscuous of the bunch.

• alicia7b
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Rosebush thank you. I have a Pentax K10 with 18-55 lens. It's a very good camera for its price, according to reviews. I've always had a Pentax camera so I was happy to see that Pentax had finally come out with a good DSLR when we were ready to get one.

Tammy the pale A. canadensis must come true to seed because they've been traveling around my garden at the same rate as the regular ones. I like the delicacy of color on the pale ones.

• tamelask
    16 years ago

Alicia, I'm glad to hear that! I like the delicacy, too, despite my normal distaste for pastels. I was tickled the first time mine bloomed. I'm hoping i get a few more in a few years, but at least i know where i can get some seed if i need some! :)

• alicia7b
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Tammy do you want a pale-flowering columbine plant? I can easily dig one for the swap.

• tamelask
    16 years ago

Sure. Thanks! I did keep some seeds from my plant and planted the resulting babies (but i don't recall where- oops). Since it'll be next year before they bloom i have a while to wait. I'm such a dork sometimes.

• maryt_gardener
    16 years ago

oh isn't spring delicious! thank you for posting the pics! mary t

• jqpublic
    16 years ago

My camera isn't nearly as nice as everyone else's and most of our gardens are against the house. The house as a backdrops isn't always ideal, but what the hay.

hosta and hot pink azalea
    {{gwi:568887}}

Self seeded Balloon flower against the house and the ones closest to the camera were the 2 clumps we planted several years ago
    {{gwi:568888}}

Peony Shoots (I think they are all Sarah Bernhardt)
    {{gwi:568889}}

More Shoots
    {{gwi:568890}}

Yellow/Orange Tulips (a little past peak)
    {{gwi:2491}}

Astilbe
    {{gwi:568891}}

Azalea (to tell you the truth I don't know the difference btw azaleas and rhododendrons, but i think this is a double flowered frilly azalea)
    {{gwi:568892}}

Another Hosta
    {{gwi:568893}}

Red Tulips
    {{gwi:2492}}

White iris buds with tulips and more iris in the background
    {{gwi:2493}}

Hope y'all enjoy :)

• alicia7b
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Native bleeding heart. This is a volunteer seedling of a disease-resistant clone from PD.

{{gwi:568894}}

Looking downstream. Creek that borders my property.

{{gwi:568895}}

Looking upstream. The creek forks around the little island seen at the top of the picture.

{{gwi:568896}}

How much longer before this river birch goes over?

{{gwi:568897}}

Hawthorns are starting to bloom.

{{gwi:568898}}

Parsley hawthorn leafing out.

{{gwi:568899}}

Perennials that border vegetable garden starting to get some size.

{{gwi:568900}}

Climbing Old Blush getting ready to bloom.

{{gwi:568901}}

Part of the bed on the south side of the house.

{{gwi:568902}}

Apple tree blossoms starting to open up. They have a heavenly fragrance.

{{gwi:568903}}

One of my favorite things about apple trees is all of the colors in the bark.

{{gwi:568904}}

{{gwi:568905}}

{{gwi:568906}}

• Bright199
    16 years ago

Here is an old plum tree that the butterflies and bee's love.

{{gwi:126936}}

{{gwi:126937}}

• alicia7b
    Original Author
    16 years ago

That plum tree is loaded with blossoms! Very nice capture of the butterfly.

• alicia7b
    Original Author
    16 years ago

This is the downstream view of the stream that I messed up earlier. Sticking up out of the water is the remnants of a cherrybark oak that fell over in Hurricane Floyd. This creek is maybe 40' wide normally -- after Floyd and Alberto it was 3/8ths of a mile wide.

{{gwi:568907}}

• alicia7b
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Jqpublic, I want to see shots of that peony when it opens up! :) Are those Dutch iris?

• alicia7b
    Original Author
    16 years ago

You know that spring is here when the snakes come out! This is a Black Rat Snake, a big one. As you can see it's as long as this broom.

{{gwi:568908}}

This picture isn't very sharp but you may be able to make out the round pupil.

{{gwi:568909}}

Looking for a place to hide.

{{gwi:568910}}

• rosebush
    16 years ago

Cool! He's a beauty!

• trianglejohn
    16 years ago

Send him over to my place! I gotz a bad case of the "voles"! I am going to spend serious time this summer improving the snake habitat in my woods. Now if I could just come up with a winter active reptile since that is the season that gets the most damage from rodents.

• jqpublic
    16 years ago

Yes those are dutch iris Alicia. We only had 1 bulb maybe 10 years ago. For some reason they double every year. I dare not move them b/c they are kind of growing under/against the wood separating the garden bed from the sidewalk. Each year they multiply. I believe I counted 18 separate flowers! Sometimes the flower stalk will have another flower further down. Is that normal? They are white with yellow-centered falls. 2 opened today. The ones further back could be Japanese Iris b/c they are huge...and one is halfway opened today. It is yellow and white...not sure yet b/c it is the first time I've seen them bloom.

I'll take pics of the peonies when they bloom for ya!

• karen__w z7 NC
    16 years ago

More epimediums:

{{gwi:568911}}

{{gwi:568912}}

{{gwi:568913}}

{{gwi:568914}}

{{gwi:568915}}

Arisaema sikokianum:
    {{gwi:568916}}

Arisaema urashima:
    {{gwi:568917}}

Hippeastrum blossfeldiae:
    {{gwi:568919}}

Euphorbia helena's blush has been a winner in every season:
    {{gwi:568921}}

{{gwi:568923}}

Every year I ask myself 'why did I plant this plain yellow tulip?', then it does this:
    {{gwi:568925}}

White phlox divaricata:
    {{gwi:568927}}

First salvia of the season, 'Lipstick':
    {{gwi:568929}}

• alicia7b
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wow, I really like the white epimedium in the second picture and the pink one in the 5th picture. They're beautiful. Are those Asian Jack-in-the-Pulpits? The native ones weren't even up those week. I like that tulip too. Do you know the name of it?

• shari1332
    16 years ago

I'm swooning...they're all beautiful. I've already killed one E. 'Helena's Blush' but I think I'll have to try again. I'm guessing that the pink in the 5th pic is 'Lilafee'? I think that will be the one I get this year to try. I'm working on a PDN list for open house. I have one and half years of Christmas GCs from DH to spend and I'm in the mood.

• tamelask
    16 years ago

Karen, i was going to ask about the lilac one, too. gorgeous! Ihave noticed lillafee before. It reminds me of some of the really long ones i've shot at duke gardens. The orange one is really pretty, too. I love the ephorb- how pretty! Does it seed true? The a. sikko is amazing! Have yours set seed yet? With the natives it takes awhile before they seem happy enough to do so. I know it must, since i've seen seed for sale, and I've thought about trying that one for a while now- have you found it to be easy to grow? My natives are popping up now.

Alicia, it's nice to see pix of your creek. Much bigger than i'd pictured! My apple trees are blooming away, too. I was just looking at it the other day and thinking i needed to get a pix. Maybe if the rain hasn't knocked too many petals off.

• karen__w z7 NC
    16 years ago

The white epimedium is E. youngianum 'Niveum'. It's a clumper and a very reliable bloomer. Mine's off to the side of the drive, totally neglected except when I'm admiring it. The dark pink one (fifth down) is E. grandiflorum 'Rose Queen'. Another clumper and not as drought tolerant for me as the rest. Unfortunately I didn't know that when I planted it and it's in a very dry spot, so sometimes it doesn't look very happy. I've got Lilafee but put it in too dry a spot too, so it will need to be moved whenever I 'get a chance'. The orange is E. x warleyense, maybe 'Orangekonigin' but the tag is long gone. The orange tulip is 'Daydream' and came from Brent and Becky's (on their 3rd year now and still blooming, if you can believe it).

Shari, this was my second try at Helena's Blush, so do try again. In the winter the foliage turns a deep rosy pink. I wasn't expecting that and took more photos of it with my new camera than I did of my third child's first year.

Alicia, I've been thinking you're probably a few weeks ahead of me in spring, based on the photos you've been posting, but I've got native jacks with pitchers already, and in two locations so I don't think it's just a microclimate. Maybe it's just population variation. The pictures I posted are both Asian species, which like drier conditions in the summer than our native. I've been told that you need two sikokianum to get fertile seed set. I was bummed to hear it, because just the one was something of a splurge. But I was fortunate to get seed from a very generous GardenWebber a few years ago and so far have managed to grow them through two dormancies. It'll probably be a few years yet before I'm looking at any seed in the garden, but I figured it would be worth the effort rather than pawning something to try and buy enough for an Arisaema grove. Tammy, I can talk to you at the swap about my experience growing from seed. I read a fair amount about it before I started and was a little worried about that first dormancy, but it turned out to be a lot easier than I thought.

• alicia7b
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Karen most of my Jack in the Pulpits are down in the floodplain and I wouldn't be surprised if that is behind you springwise. Whenever we would go to the Arboretum or to Chapel Hill we were usually a good 2 weeks behind them. Now that the house has been moved up 6' in elevation I can tell a big difference. The verbena around the house started blooming at least 2 or weeks before the verbena around the old house site (in fact it's just now in full bloom), so microclimate can make a huge difference. I'll have to see if any JITPs are up tomorrow. They do just suddenly appear, and are not the earliest things to come up in any case.

• alicia7b
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hopefully the Jacks will be up; we have sizeable colonies in a few locations unless they've been shaded out as the trees have matured. I'll also have to see if the Atamasco lilies are blooming in the slough. The ones in my garden have been blooming but they get full sun.

• alicia7b
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Iris kochii

{{gwi:568931}}

More Crimson King

{{gwi:568933}}

{{gwi:568934}}

{{gwi:568935}}

{{gwi:58181}}

Toothwort

{{gwi:568937}}

Dwarf crested iris

{{gwi:568939}}

{{gwi:568941}}

{{gwi:568943}}

{{gwi:568945}}

• alicia7b
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Climbing Old Blush

{{gwi:568947}}

{{gwi:568949}}

{{gwi:58183}}

{{gwi:58182}}

{{gwi:568952}}

{{gwi:568954}}

{{gwi:568956}}

{{gwi:58180}}

• tamelask
    16 years ago

Alicia, what is that wonderful picoteed iris?

• shari1332
    16 years ago

Alicia, is that my unknown dianthus? I love that iris. I'm finally getting some blooms to open on mine. It's nice to finally see them after waiting 2 years.

• alicia7b
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Tammy that is Jesse's Song. Very prolific and very disease resistant. If you want a piece I can bring it to the swap.

Shari that is a dianthus that we picked up at Lowe's years ago. It doesn't have a scent but it's survived everything short of fire, including overcrowding and floods.

• shari1332
    16 years ago

It looks just like what I have which is definitely perennial. I'd love to ID it. I took a bunch of it to one of the swaps.

• tamelask
    16 years ago

Alicia, i would LOVE a piece! Thanks for the offer.

• alicia7b
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I took these pictures next to one of the sloughs that runs through my farm. The drought seems to have really cut back on the numbers of flowers.

Jack-in-the-Pulpit (just newly emerged leaves so far), Southern Lady Fern, Atamasco lily, meadow rue

{{gwi:568958}}

Jack-in-the-Pulpit

{{gwi:568960}}

Jack-in-the-Pulpit, Hearts-a-burstin, and bellwort

{{gwi:568962}}

White turtlehead

{{gwi:568965}}

{{gwi:568968}}

{{gwi:568971}}

• DYH
    16 years ago

I love all the beautiful photos and information in this thread! There are some gorgeous gardens in the Carolinas. We rode by "The Twin Sister's Garden" on Ghimgoul Road in Chapel Hill today. We couldn't get out and visit because our greyhound was with us. The azaleas, cherries, dogwoods, redbuds, tulips and such are gorgeous in Chapel Hill right now.

I finally remembered to take some photos this morning. I've mostly been working in the garden! Sound familiar?

Cameron

Dutch iris by the front pathway:

{{gwi:568974}}

Lady Banksia over the door; Kwansan Cherry to the right; Jasmine on the stone corner.

{{gwi:568977}}

Through the garden gate, view from east patio by the waterfall. Spanish bluebells along the stream:

{{gwi:568980}}

{{gwi:568984}}

Inside the fence, the cottage pinks and lavender are cranking up:

{{gwi:568987}}

{{gwi:568989}}

The Japanese Maple in full glory:

{{gwi:273455}}

• rainbow_2007
    16 years ago

Wow!!! You're property is beautiful. Do you have sand where the lavender is? Mine died when the rains started, I tried mixing a little sand with the clay each hole but it wasn't enough dry enough for them I guess.

• DYH
    16 years ago

My lavender is planted in garden soil (brought in). It is planted high in the ground for good drainage. This is my Spanish lavender. I've got some water damage with my Provence and Munsted Lavenders, even though we thought they were planted high enough.

• alicia7b
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Some hawthorn pics

{{gwi:568991}}

{{gwi:568993}}

{{gwi:568995}}

{{gwi:568997}}

This is a large slough that the beavers dammed up before we moved here. Except in severe drought it's full of water 365 days a year. Red maples, willows and tupelo grow in it, and we almost always see large water turtles and wood ducks when we walk down here.

{{gwi:568999}}

{{gwi:569001}}

Another shot of the creek, slightly up from Saturday's rains.

{{gwi:569003}}

I have gotten a LOT of plant material from the area in the floodway and by the creek. Northern River Oats, Atamasco lily, bellwort, white turtlehead, meadow rue, hawthorn, still working on the possawhaw, winterberry, and hibiscus.

• trianglejohn
    16 years ago

Alicia - do you notice the box turtle comeing out of the leaves in the background of the photo with the single Atamasco Lily and the baby Jack in the Pulpits? Look near the tree trunk.

• karen__w z7 NC
    16 years ago

Alicia, what are the yellow flowers on the ground in that same photo with the atamasco and turtle? I'm so jealous of your wetlands. I'm at the top of the ridge and it tends to be pretty dry. I constantly covet my neighbor's pond and consider what I would grow along the edge if I owned it.

• alicia7b
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh yeah, he adds a nice dimension to the picture, lol. Too bad I didn't zoom in on him too.

On the day I took the first set of stream pictures a pair of wood ducks practically flew out from under my feet. They were in a quiet part of the water under the lip of the bank. I don't think there's any humanly way I could have focused fast enough -- I noticed them too late in any case -- which was a shame because that would have made a heck of a picture.

• alicia7b
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Karen those are jessamine flowers. Not sure if it's Carolina, or swamp -- maybe I have both -- because the flowers I've checked out are fragrant.

• alicia7b
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Some lyreleaf sage by one of the horse pastures

{{gwi:569005}}

Close-up of foliage

{{gwi:569007}}

Ebony spleenwort

{{gwi:569009}}

{{gwi:569011}}

{{gwi:569012}}

{{gwi:569014}}

{{gwi:569017}}

{{gwi:569019}}

Baptisia is almost ready to bloom

{{gwi:569021}}

Goldflame honeysuckle buds

{{gwi:569023}}

{{gwi:58176}}

• alicia7b
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Iris kochii (bottom 3 flowers) blooming with Crimson King

{{gwi:58178}}

Closer look at Iris kochii

{{gwi:569028}}

Is this Christine Yeo? I got this from PD a few years ago. The flowers are purplish red and the foliage smells like sage. Karen we traded for Christine Yeo last fall but that's just barely poking out of the ground at present.

{{gwi:569030}}

{{gwi:569032}}

{{gwi:569035}}

{{gwi:569038}}

{{gwi:569039}}

{{gwi:569040}}

{{gwi:569041}}

{{gwi:569042}}

{{gwi:569043}}

{{gwi:569044}}

{{gwi:569045}}

{{gwi:569046}}

{{gwi:58177}}

• shari1332
    16 years ago

Alicia, I think that is S. greggii 'Diane'. If you purchased a few years ago 'Christine Yeo' would not have been available plus the leaves are smooth like a greggii. I'm jealous since I lost mine.

My Amsonia is just emerging and nowhere near blooming. I've had it a few years too.

• alicia7b
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Shari. I can root some of the "Diane" for you if you want.

I'm surprised we're ahead of anyone springwise. It always seemed as though we were 2 weeks behind everyone else. Perhaps the amsonia down in the slough will still come up then. I didn't see any when I went down there and that's where the amsonia pictured came from.

• alicia7b
    Original Author
    16 years ago

{{gwi:569047}}

{{gwi:569048}}

{{gwi:569049}}

{{gwi:569050}}

{{gwi:569051}}

{{gwi:569052}}

{{gwi:569053}}

• karen__w z7 NC
    16 years ago

Shari's, right, it's not Christine Yeo. Glad to hear yours is coming up from last year. I haven't grown Diane so I don't know what the early blooms look like. But I really like the photo, so if you're cutting and rooting ....

• tamelask
    16 years ago

That is a yummy colored salvia! If you have enough when you're cutting, I'd love a start of that one, too. I got christine from Karen last swap and it'll be going in the ground this spring. I like all your columbines, Alicia! Very pretty. You're well ahead of me with your baptisia and amsonia, too. I tend to be a little behind on most stuff, but this spring has been really wonky. Stuff's all out of order.