SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gonebananas_gw

Cold damage (?) to a citrange at ~15 F

gonebananas_gw
15 years ago

I notice that several of my small plants, and one larger fruiting selection, with a lot of trifoliate in their genetics (most have 1/2) still have leaf curl after some fairly cold weather for here. But the temperature is way above the commonly listed tolerances for common citranges, that being maybe ~5 F. My larger plant is a Rusk or Morton citrange.

I had never thought of this before (because we have had fairly mild winters for years and had no visible stress on these plants) but P. trifoliata (for example, "Flying Dragon") sheds its leaves in the cold season. My hybrids had stayed evergreen.

Is the ~5 F tolerance mentioned for citranges mainly referring to twig or branch damage, and not leaf damage. Is stress on or loss of leaves in these hybrids more adaption to cold rather than cold damage per se?

My plants are in a sunny and partially protected area. The small ones still in ~5-7 gallon pots are up against a south facing wall, and a shingled wood one, not concrete. It does get warm there on our common sunny winter days. Which brings up the next quandary. Perhaps these plants haven't stayed cold enough overall.

A "NC grapefruit" (probably "Dunstan"), another selection with a lot of trifoliate in it, sits next to the large citrange and is equal in size. It shows not the slightest stress in its leaves.

Comments (2)