SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gonebananas_gw

Seedless citranges? Seedless other trifoliate hybrids?

gonebananas_gw
18 years ago

I have a citrus that must have a substantial proportion of trifoliate in it (has side leaves, shows no effect of mid-teens temperatures, has a slight hint of trifoliate odor) that is also seedless. It fruited for the first time this year (ripened in the past week or two) and the four initial fruit were all seedless (only four as it is small and languishing in a pot, awaiting my long-overdue becoming landed gentry). The fruits were as large as normal oranges and were quite good for juice, at least to my taste when sweetened and diluted with some ginger ale. I am not familiar (other than by reading) with trifoliate hybrids so I can't judge yet against any others.

But I do have a few questions:

Are seedless trifoliate hybrids known? Among the types of decent-enough quality to drink? Is it possibly simply from being the earliest fruits and may well be seedy in later years?

(I suspect that this citrus was bought as a seedling from Woodlanders, so it may be atypical of the variety, whatever that was. Unfortunately its tag is lost.)

I really enjoyed the juice and now want to make sure this plant prospers. I am an experienced city-lot gardener and know the science and art of potting soils pretty well for temperate plants, and have a fair amount of experience in a warmer climate with citrus, but am not very experienced with these cold-hardy citrus. It is below freezing regularly here now: for a few hours every few nights. Is it too risky to repot a citrange (or related citrus) now, being a subtropical? Will it heal damaged roots like most deciduous trees would, despite the cold, or as subtropicals in warmer weather would? I normally bury the pot in leaves to keep the soil itself from freezing so that will not be a problem.

Thanks.

Comments (16)