SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
don_okc

Cold hardiness testing of F1 'Ponderosa' lemon X poncirus hybrids

Don_OKC
18 years ago

Spring of 2004 I hand pollenated flowers of 'Ponderosa' lemon with 'Flying Dragon' poncirus pollen. Two fruits set and were harvested New Year 2005 and then germinated. The trifoliate leafed offspring were then grown indoors until spring 2005 when potted into 5 gallon and placed outdoors. The potted plants were container planted in ground early fall 2005 and allowed to go dormant. December 7,8 and 9 frigid overnight lows cold tested the specimens with two nights of 6*f or perhaps even lower.

One specimen of what I have common named 'Citrosa' survived the cold almost untouched except for browned leaves and a little tip damage. Two other plants did fair and the rest failed. The successful survivors will be field planted for further testing of fruit taste and cold hardiness. The failed plants will be disposed of in the compost pile.

The hardiest 'Citrosa' pictured as 'Best' should make a great hybrid being so robust. It has been the fastest growing citrus/poncirus hybrid I have ever grown. Even faster than citrumelo. I hope fruiting wood will be quick to form and even more cold hardiness will be gained with size. I am sure the fruit will be very interesting even if bad tasting.

Overall 'Ponderosa' was a very disappointing mother for poncirus hybrids unlike the terrific 'Temple' tangor. Ponderosa had a bad fruit set with only 2 fruits where 'Temple' sat 15 seedy fruits. Cold hardiness of 'Ponderosa' hybrids seemed to be lacking with a low percentage of hardy offspring, where almost all of the 'Temple' hybrids offspring survived single digit cold in great shape. One BIG plus with the 'Ponderosa' hybrids was super fast robust growth. Those seedlings grew to fill a 5 gallon pot in under one year. The leaves are VERY fragrant too, more so than any other 50/50 hybrid I have ever smelled.

Here are the pictures for everone to check out by clicking the links below. They are big as to see everything.

{{gwi:559110}}

{{gwi:559111}}

Thank's for your interest.

Comment (1)