SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jennbrehm

My Jade is shriveling - should I examine roots?

jennbrehm
16 years ago

Hi, I have had my jade plant for 4 years. I keep it about 4 feet from a southern-facing window that gets good light and moderate wind circulation. It is quite a bushy round shaped plant, and fairly large (when I go tit it was 6, so I suppose it is 10 years old now.)During the time I have had it, it has had the occassional bout of shriveling leaves and leaf drop. Whenever this happened, I would try giving a little more water, and it would perk up before long.

2 months ago, I gave it the annual re-potting, to give it fresh soil ( I bought one of those cacti and succulent mixes from a local garden store.) At first, it seemed happy and green, and there was new growth. Then, 3 weeks ago, I noticed some shriveling leaves. As usual, I increased my watering slightly. Since then, it has gone rapidly downhill. About 1/3 of the leaves on the plant have dropped, and some branches, too. It seems to be coming from the base - the leaves on the ends of the branches are still green and healthy-looking, but the leaves near the base are yellow, shiveling and dropping. I am afriad that taking it out of the pot will cause such a shock that the whole thing will collapse, but I think the problem must be coming from the roots. Should I take the plant out of the pot and examine the roots for rot? If so, what precautions can I take to make this process less traumatic for the plant? Please help - I am so attached to this plant and I don't want to loose it.

Comments (3)