SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ctgardener1

When to Re-pot Orange Tree?

CTGardener1
10 years ago

Hello all.

I have a navel orange tree here in CT that I would like to re-pot into a bigger container. Some information about the tree. It is 4-5 years old. It stands 5 feet tall (6 ft. including pot) and 3-4 feet wide. I am by no means in any rush to pot it up, I am just wondering when would be the best time to re-pot.

The tree remains outside during the Summer months, but is moved to its current place for the Winter, which is in our garage. There are no windows (only a standard fluorescent shop light). It is an attached garage. The coldest temps the trees see inside is 26 degrees Fahrenheit - So not too cold.
They sit next to my dormant fig trees. (the citrus are completely foliated).It's a pain to bring inside the house because the size of the tree.

My main question is: Am I wrong by thinking March/April would be an okay time to do it? Any special mix for the soil? The mix that they are currently in is 1 part peat poss and 1 part top soil. I would like to move the tree from a 15 gallon pot to a 30 gallon pot.

I would hate to stress these trees. I just picked 2 oranges a few weeks ago and have only lost approximately a half dozen leaves in the past 6 months.

Thank you.

Comments (2)