SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
loribee2

My bearded iris is blooming...in October?

loribee2
13 years ago

I know zero about bearded irises, but that did not stop me from buying one at Lowes and planting the bulb (tuber?) in a raised bed in my garden. I did that last year around this time, if I recall--it was whenever you see them at the big box stores.

Leaves came out of the ground pretty quickly after I planted it, and they've been there ever since, but I never got one bloom. A check of the internet said they can take a year to bloom. It also said they might not bloom if you planted them too deep. It also said I should pull them up and store them in a bag over the winter, but I've been waiting for the leaves to die off. Instead of dieing off, I just discovered a bloom on the darned thing!

So...can someone tell me what I'm supposed to do with this thing? It's hard reading info on the internet because I don't know if it applies to my climate, and all the info seems to contradict itself.

I'm in Northern California--Sonoma County. Sunset Garden Zone 14-15 (I'm on the border).

Basically, I'm wondering if I'm supposed to dig it up, or can I just leave it there? And is it normal for it to be blooming right now?

I realize there's an Iris forum, but I thought I'd start with people in my climate as the info seems to vary so much!

Comments (7)