SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
carolsun_gw

bad year in garden

15 years ago

Only you fellow gardeners know how a bad gardening year can threaten part of one's identity. It has been so bad I don't even want to go outside and walk around it these days. Maybe the arrival of steady rain will help, but the chrysanthemum and aster blooms of previous autumns, the well-begun winter crops, the beautiful fall foliage, all absent this year. Since last spring it's been one battle after another with small and large garden pests, stunted plants, limited fruit set in vegetable beds, non-flowering perennials, etc. I don't know where to begin to diagnose or correct underlying problems: soil testing? soil replacement? re-configure drip system and watering schedule? Sell house and start over?

Have any of you faced this and had success with your attempts at solving wholesale garden failure? I garden organically, mainly, (rare use of fungicide on roses), and work in soil amendments spring and fall, plant green cover crops, etc.

Some specifics: no string bean plants of 12-15 I planted throughout the yard "took." New basil plants (both in pots and in ground) stayed under 5 inches in height. Verbena bonariensis, echinacea, rudbeckia and several other perennials not only didn't bloom well but some just keeled over or were bored through at crown by small insects. Chrysanthemums are blooming weakly, many buds shriveled and brown. One of a six pack of mini-zinnias flourished, other five (some right next to flourishing one) barely limped along, never grew.

Comments (6)