SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
drwurm

First dormancy approaches...help!

drwurm
16 years ago

So, although I stay very well read on all my plants, I'd still like some personalzed advice from you guys. I have :

5 sarracenia

many dionea

a cape sundew growing with the flytraps

3 d. Binata

1 d. filiformis tracyi

1 d. adelae; which i'm growing outside :O

a highland N. Ephippiata

I live in LA, California where we get a mediterranean like climate. Lows in the 40s during winter.

My sarracenia are all pretty young, but doing well. I've heard they require dormancy.

My dionaea are somewhat odd. When i got them in August, they were rosetted. I didn't think much of it, but they've never unrosetted. D'Amato lists the "Clumping Cultivar" in his book, as rosetted plants that produce a lot of new plants around. And when I got them, the containers were packed with rosetted plants. Not sure if i'd definitely place them in that category. Some are large plants that look to be near maturity, others are tiny plants near the span of a penny. Anywho, they're rosetted, whether by weather, or by nature. I know they need dormancy.

My cape sundew grows right in the center of all my flytraps and is growing vigorously. It puts out a new leaf every 5 days or so, and the older leaves have amazing longevity compared to flytraps. Not really too worried about it, as I've read it's essentially a weed.

Now, the D. Binata were shipped by Cook's, apparently already dormant (i emailed them). They looked dead to me, but okay, dormant... I was told that if i leave them in warmer weather, they'd come out of it. Well, I guess i'll see what happens there. They were only about 3 dollars anywho....

The D. Filiformis also was on its way to being dormant, but I could tell it was still alive. It looks like it's starting to send out new leaves from the green bulb at its base.

I know I'm a rebel, but I'm growing the adelae outside in "full" sun. Although, it's beginning to be a lot more cloudy, and the plant is new. There are 2 runner plants coming out from its roots.

I'm also growing my Nep outside, and know it doesn't need dormancy. According to the guy at nepenthesaroundthehouse.com, who also grows his highlanders outside in southern california, it'll be fine through winter.

I grow almost all of these in the tray system except for the nepenthes and the adelae. The adelae grows in an undrained ceramic pot.

So I'd like to know if these conditions sound okay in general. One thing I'm not sure about is how i should treat them water-wise. I also want to know if the temperatures are going to be cool enough to make them go dormant, or if i'll have to take drastic measures. Although I read in another topic that photoperiod is more important.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County