SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jmcrut

Lemon tree has yellow leaves

jmcrut
11 years ago

About a month and a half ago, I moved my lemon tree from a commercial peat based mix into the 5-1-1 mix, though I left out the peat and the lime/gypsum portions. When I repotted, I cut off at least 2/3 of the roots.

I have got a wooden dowel in the mix to monitor moisture level, and I have been watering before it dries out, every 3 to 4 days. I am feeding with FP at 1/4 teaspoon per gallon at every watering. Until about 2 weeks ago, I had been adding 1 tablespoon of vinegar to the solution because that volume was stuck in my head for some reason. I decided to check the pH and found that it was at 4.5! So I cut back to 1/4 teaspoon of vinegar per gallon. I haven't yet tested the pH of the new solution, but it is roughly 10x less vinegar so I am guessing that it is probably a little above pH 5.5 (but I will be testing soon). And when I water, probably about 1/2 of the water drains out.

I've got the tree inside facing east so the tree gets some sun but probably not enough, but it's the best I can do.

About 4 weeks ago I noticed a some yellowing leaves. Then the tree got better. About 2 weeks ago, the yellowing came back. I have been advised that leaving the lime out of the mix was a mistake but have also read that it is OK to leave out because the pH of the water matters more and I have Mg/Ca in the fertilizer solution. So, I am a bit confused when it comes to this subject.

I am looking for suggestions on what to do. Should I take it out of the pot and add some lime? Should I flush with tap water (pH around 6.5) to sort of flush out the acidity? Or does it sound like my problem is unrelated to pH?

Thanks,
John

Comments (14)

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz