SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
eldarmark

Help! New Apartment unsuitable for CP (Terrarium)

mcantrell
15 years ago

I moved into my new apartment, but, well...

It's worse than I thought, there's nothing but shade out my windows. My apartment is East-facing and only gets direct sunlight for a few hours in the evening.

Some of my plants should be OK (Strawberries, Stevia, etc) but I'm worried about my CPs. I only get about 3 hours of direct sunlight a day, but plenty of indirect light. I do not think that will be enough for my plants.

Fortunately I have permission to mount stuff to the walls (but not necessarily the outside walls, will check -- doubt it). That rules out, unfortunately, a windowbox, at least as far as I know, and my deck has no railing (so no "no-screws" box drooping over the deck).

Unfortunately, the apartment complex did not give me the option to review the apartment before move-in -- and doubly unfortunately, I wouldn't have had an option to say no (outside of something really really bad) in the first place.

So, my option at this point, I believe, is a terrarium. I'm completely lost as to how to do so, however. I was reading the excellent FAQ on Sarracenia.com, but, my mind is swimming a bit with the whole thing.

http://www.sarracenia.com/faq/faq6010c.html

I would prefer to do as much purchasing online as possible -- or at least, links to sites that will show me what exactly things are called -- with it being as "newbie proof" as possible as well. I was thinking of picking up the box locally (there's several good shops in the area for fishtanks) but, I just do not know enough about what I'm buying to make an educated purchase for the rest of it.

As far as I know, what I'll need to get is:

* Fishtank (was told a "29" should be enough for my needs, presuming that's gallons)

* "Lid" fitted for such (presumably one that will hold 2 lights)

* 2x (or more) Light Bulbs (Was told a warm light and a natural light should cover all my bases)

* "Ballast" (Electronics to support the light)

* Timer of some kind

I have a decently small collection, so I might have to get more than 1 terrarium, or somesuch:

2x White Trumpets (different planters)

1x Judith Hindle (W/ plants to repot soon)

2x VFT (Typical)

1x Mixed pot (D. scorpioides, D. pulchella x nitidula, P. moranensis P. grandiflora in one big 7" Pot)

1x Mixed pot (D. tokaiensis x2, D. Adeae, D. capensis 'alba' in a 7" Translucent fishbowl)

1x N. Ventricosa (about a 10-12" pot)

1x D. capensis

1x S. purpurea (about a 6" pot)

1x S. purpurea (2" pot -- this one's died and come back multiple times)

Of the batch, if I had to pick only 2 plants to save, I'd have to go with my VFT (which could, I imagine, in an emergency, go into the fridge early) and my D. capensis, as they are my two original CPs.

I am unsure as to which ones could survive in a lower light situation -- I imagine the N. Ventricosa should be fine, for example. It's by no means a DARK location, just not direct sunlight -- is there a way to test how much light a specific area is getting?

I was thinking of just putting the plants on a dresser and using some "shop light" mounts to provide extra light to the plants, as I was unsure if the plants would need the extra

Comments (6)

Sponsored