SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
persianmd2orchard

Acid to sugar ratios on winner varieties

10 years ago

Hi guys,

I'm looking to expand the citrus collection maybe this coming season. I was wondering if the people that have tasted a lot of citrus varieties could rank them in whatever way they think makes sense in terms of the acidity to sugar spectrum.

Lots of the winners for flavor I have read about (seedless kishu, page mandarin, depokon, ponkan, golden nugget, xie shan satsuma, dancy tangerine...) I'm not sure where the acidity/sweetness ratio level lies at all as some citrus do seem to be more towards sweet (I think satsumas and kishu) then still towards sweet but a tiny bit more acid Dancy--am I right? Then Minneola more acid... Not sure who's in between??

In my head starting with most acid to most sweet is:
lemon/lime/sour orange/etc, then some grapefruit, then some oranges,

then all these medium sized tangerine/mandarin/clementine/satsuma/tangelos/minneolas/depokon/hybrids guys that are the ones I'm perplexed about as they seem to vary,

and then acidless sweet lime

Is there a good source for learning about citrus flavor of these popular ones I'm confused on?

In general, I actually like a good balance of tart with the sweet so I may like more towards the acid ones of these if there are some. I feel like some of the big flavor winners reviewed may be the sweeter ones? I enjoy those as well but want them paired up with at least one or two flavor winners that have a good tart balance with the sweetness. This would be for container growing indoors during winter times and outside in zone 7a rest of year near Wash DC.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths