SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mitch_in_the_garden

Help ID'ing vining miniature, experts welcome

My wife and I cannot ID a small vining miniature succulent. At least we think it's a succulent. An expert opinion would be welcome as we seem about to lose this one of a kind gift plant. It has the following attributes. Will post pic when techie wife shows me how.

Slender light-green climbing vine about 1/16 inch diameter with pairs of light-green, oval, pointed 1 inch by 1/2 inch leaves, and internodes from one to two inches. Small hair-like roots form at the nodes. Vine branches freely during rapid growth.

Develops small pairs of upward-pointing red 1/4 inch tubular flowers at the nodes, which do not open completely, and exude a small drop of nectar at the tip. A pair of light green seed pods grows at the node to 2 inches in length by 1/8 inch diameter. Seedpod turns light tan and splits spirally to release dozens of tiny, cottony, dandelion-like seeds.

The leaves have the strange habit of randomly inflating some of themselves, either singly or in pairs, from marble to golf ball size, and resemble mottled-green inflated hearts with a "brain" like veined surface.

Additionally, this plant seems to be able to die back to just a small segment of stem with a few pairs of leaves and nodes with 1/8 inch roots and remain unchanged, viable, and very light yellow, for up to six months before beginning to grow again.

Had it for a few years now and it does this every year in an indoor terrarium with miniature orchids at 1500 lumens mixed fluorescents. Don't know if we've got the culture right. Don't even know if it's a succulent. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting