SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ams2009

gst eclosed last night, wings look torn

ams2009
14 years ago

I had 4 gsts eclose since yesterday afternoon, last two eclosed early this morning around 2am. I kept waking up to check on the last 2 that I knew were about to eclose, so I could make sure they were up and hanging and had not fallen. Around 2 am, when i checked, the last two had eclosed, and it appeared they had both just eclosed a few minutes prior to me checking. One of them kept falling, so I unzipped the reptarium and kept helping it back up because when it would fall it would just lay there on floor of reptarium, meanwhile, one of the two that had eclosed that afternoon, was flying all around the reptarium and knocked the one who was having trouble holding on to hang and dry wings, down more than once, but eventually, the newly emerged butterfly, climbed up the side of the reptarium and hung vertically, i tried to coax him up with a stick so he would be hanging upside down rather than vertically, but he would not. So I looked and saw that his wings were not touching anything and were not crumpled so I thought he would be okay if I left him like that, since he refused to move and seemed to be determined to stay in position he was in. This morning when I woke up (and I checked on him all through the rest of the night to make sure he was still up and his wings were not crumpled, and they were not) all of the others were ready to go, but this one was flapping his wings wildly and kept falling or flying side to side, like he could not fly up any higher, i looked closer and the little ""tail" part on one of his wings, was missing and I saw it on the floor of reptarium, he also has what looks like a tear or piece missing on another part of the same wing, like a small "v" shaped piece is missing toward bottom of wing, his wings do not look crumpled or deformed other than those two little pieces, I noticed that when he crawls, the same wing looks like it sometimes bends upwards, this is the left lower wing. I took them all outside this morning around 8, and unzipped the reptarium and the other 3 flew out and were ready to go, the other one, just crawled around but never flew out, so I cut some lantana and put it in the cage with him and put him back inside, thinking maybe he just isn't ready yet. He was still "flying" around the reptarium and sitting still and flapping his wings really fast, so I am hoping he will be able to fly, and maybe he just wasn't ready this morning, I am going to check on him at lunch to see if he wants to be released. I have seen pictures on here of gsts with tattered wings that are still able to fly and this one's wings don't look anywhere near as bad as some of the pics, so surely these two little tears will not prevent him from ever being able to fly!

Comment

Sponsored