SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kaktuskris

Classy Crassulas, Elegant Euphorbia, Kewl Kalanchoes

kaktuskris
13 years ago

A rather rude reply to one of my recent posts, referencing "low-rent Jades" has made me ponder the absurdity of associating plants and socio-economic class.

I grow certain plants for their aesthetic value. It may be beautiful, or ugly, but something about it appeals to me. I don't say, "I like it, but it's too common." I have an Aloe which I bought as A. harlana, a rather uncommon species from Ethiopia. As it turns out, it is most likely A. hemmingii, a more common species from Somalia. But does that make the plant any less attractive to me? Certainly not, it is a beautiful plant. I never saw certain plants as fashion statements, as some others do. People should grow what they like, regardless of the fashion of the day, or without fear of being deemed "low-rent".

Now a little story. There was a time when a certain food was considered only fit for prisoners and animals like dogs and pigs in this country. If the prison keepers had chosen to try that ultimate in "low-rent" food, they would have been surprised to realise they had been missing something truly good. I am sure the prisoners never let on. Now what was that food? Lobster!

Christopher

Here is a link that might be useful: My original post

Comments (11)