SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
0nametaken0

Agave toumeyana var. bella? Should I?

0nametaken0
10 years ago

---I ended up buying Agave Parviflora--- Scroll Down for Update

Hey guys, Ive been looking into Agaves for the past while and spent hours trying to find one hardy to our zone 5/6 and pulling my hair out because I cant find any sources. If there are nurseries selling them, its like $30 for a 3" piece.

Now, I found one on ebay named "Agave toumeyana var. bella" and fell in love (after some research). It is hardy to our zone and it will be around $20. I will be keeping it in a pot in my balcony. It is a west side facing bal. so lots of sun. I will be making my own soil. Im thinking 90% pea gravel and lava rock and 10% succulent soil (with perilite).

Im located in Toronto, Canada. I live close to downtown + live on the 9th floor. So temps usually dont get cold unless its -20c. We only get 3 or so days of -20 to -25c days or evenings. The rest even if it is -5c our balcony is at +2c. If anyone can sell, that would be great. My bro lives in Detroit and it would be a better addition there.

So wanted to ask people with experience, does it stand a chance?

Also, I was going through a beautiful document, google "www.cistus.com_pdf_Agaves and Kin List". I love how many there are. This is where I found Agave toumeyana var. bella.

This post was edited by NameTaken on Wed, Jul 24, 13 at 12:37

Comments (24)

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022