SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
treeguy_ny

agave hardiness part 2

Last year I posted asking about what cold hardy agave's I should try and how to grow them. The general consensus is that winter drainage is of utmost importance, winter temperature protection being second. I am in the process of building a raised bed that will have a cold frame (i.e. removable glass) top to it. The raised bed will be roughly 2 feet deep and filled with gravel, coarse sand, some crushed limestone, and a little bit of the native soil as planting material. I'm adding the glass cold-frame top to eliminate precipitation/excess moisture during fall, winter, and spring. There will be air vents in the sides to prevent excess heat retention or humidity within the cold frame. I currently have Agave havardiana and A. parryi. The company I purchased these from noted that the A. parryi was collected on an exposed plateau near Flagstaff, AZ.

I have two questions.

First, does my plan seem good - should it work?

Second, I have a list of Agave's that are marginally hardy and was wondering if anyone has heard of them being grown in zone 6. I'm zone pushing here and am wondering if anyone has information or suggestions on which of these species and selections would fare better than others:

A. ovatifolia

A. americana ssp. protoamericana

A. gentryi 'jaws'

A. montana 'baccarat'

A. montana - La Encantada site

A. parrasana

A. parryi ssp. huachucensis

A. parryi ssp. truncata

A. salmiana var. ferox 'green goblet'

A. salmiana var. ferox 'logan calhoun'

A. utahensis and its varieties

Comments (10)