SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
haloheaven988

Help with Avocado tree - blotches on leaves

haloheaven988
11 years ago

I am a home gardener in Orange County, and planted an avocado tree in my yard just 2 months ago. The tree was purchased from a reputable nursery, and currently stands about 6 feet tall (I don't know how many years old that makes it).

It was perfectly healthy when planted. I just started noticing reddish-brown blotches on many of the leaves, on older leaves as well as newer leaves, and do not know the cause. I am aware of salinity issues in the soil causing tip burn, but I am not sure the symptoms I am seeing are the same as other pictures I have seen that are representative of salinity-caused tip burn. I am attaching a few pictures here so you can see. FYI, the burn spots you see in the lawn in the 2nd picture are from dog urine, not some other problem ;-).

Here are some other facts you should know about the avocado tree:

- The tree is planted on the east side of our house, and receives mostly morning/early afternoon sun.

- When the tree was planted, an approximately 3-foot diameter "hole" was excavated from our lawn, and good quality garden soil was used to fill the hole, in addition to a 50-lb. bag of sand (for good drainage). A few inches of compost mulch was added.

- The trunk and exposed branches have been whitewashed.

- Watering is on the same schedule as our lawn, since it is in the middle of our lawn and uses the same sprinklers (M-W-F for 15 minutes). In addition, I also give it a deep watering once a week, not only for additional water requirements but also in hopes it would help leach any salt build-up in the soil.

- After doing a bit of research on avocado care, I just applied gypsum the other day (I don't know whether this will do anything for the problem or not).

- I have not applied any other fertilizer since being planted.

What could possibility be the cause? Could it be salinity problems (according to the water quality report from our water utility, the sodium content in our water is 95 ppm)? Could it be sunburn, considering the intense heat we have been having over the last month? Some other issue?

I would appreciate any advice!

Comments (9)