SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
anniebomm

Happy Brug Story

anniebomm
14 years ago

I'm a gardener by trade. Last year, I offered a Brug seedling to a lovely couple I work for who don't really know plants, but are very appreciative of the work I do for them.

I gave them this little baby Brug as part of a mixed container on their patio, telling them it would bloom at the end of the summer for them if it got big enough.

Well, it grew and grew, getting big and kind of weedy looking in the pot w/ the other ornamentals.

They became a little alarmed, I think. What was this large, coarse-leaved giant? It was kind of, well, UGLY, they thought. The summer got later, and still, the thing grew, but no flowers!

I think they were beginning to lose faith that I even knew what I was talking about!

Last September, I finally got an email from them with the pictures! Their Brug had bloomed, and they were so impressed with the flowers and scent! (Here's where I wish I knew how to add pictures to my posts. Is there a way to add jpg images?)

She managed to keep a tiny piece of this plant alive over the winter--the main plant died, but her little 'baby' lived in a glass of water where she rooted it and potted it up on her own. It was truly a sad little thing, but after advising them to repot, feed and give it more sun, their baby has taken off again. It's about two feet tall, and looks really healthy. Though it probably won't bloom in time before they bring it in for winter this year, they just love this plant now!

What fun it was to share this with them and get them hooked!

Comments (14)

• threas
    14 years ago

That's a wonderful story!
    If you want to email me the pic, I could post it for you or you could try it yourself!LOL
    I don't know how much you know about posting pix, but I'll try to help.Right click on picture in the email, to save it on your computer, save it in a picture file. Now, you need to upload it to a photo sharing website, I use Photobucket, it's free. Open PB,on top of page look for "Upload Images & Video". Click on "choose Files" ,your picture folder should be in the top field. Find your pic, double click on the chosen picture,now it will upload to PB.Now, you press return to photo album,hover your mouse over the photo, a box will show up below it. Check the little box. Now, go to the bottom of the page and press button"Generate HTML code".
    Copy the link in the 1st box. now come back to GW and paste the code into this field. Click preview to see if it worked.
    I know this sounds confusing but it's really not once you do it.

Theresa

• karyn1
    14 years ago

What a nice story. You have to admit that most brugs aren't that impressive looking when not in bloom.

• givelittle_getlots
    14 years ago

Ann you really told the story of the ugly Brug turning into a angel for them, in a very beautiful way !!!!

Hope the instructions from Daniella will work...would love to see the pictures that go with this great story

Lucy

• anniebomm
    Original Author
    14 years ago

All right! I just sent to Daniella (or think I did) the three pictures that the customers sent me last year, so I hope she can post them for us--I'd get such a kick out of seeing them here!

• haase
    14 years ago

I tried to post a pic, too. Thanks Theresa. I got my pic in photobucket and I get as far as" press button Generate HTML code.
    Then I'm stuck. You say: copy the link in the 1st box. HOW?
    Then come back to GW and paste the code into this field.How?
    How do you get from PB back to GW? Do you start your message in GW before you go into PB?
    It would be so nice if you could please help me out.

• luvmy3afhounds
    14 years ago

Haase,
    I am not Theresa but I can try & help you. I am usually signed into the Brug List. I minimize it and sign into Photobucket. I bring up my photos and place my mouse/cursor over the picture I want to use. You will see a box come up and then click (just click...no double click) the third line down that says HTML code. Watch it and it should say copied. Now go back to the brug list and type whatever message you want...then do right click paste. That should paste the html code of your picture into the message. Now click on preview and you should see your message and picture. If you want to add more than one picture in a message go back to photobucket and do the same thing on the new pic. Then go back to the same message bottom and do right click paste.
    There are other ways to make them clickable etc. but try it this way and see if you can get it to work!
    Good Luck and I enjoyed your story!
    Joyce

• threas
    14 years ago

Here's Ann's Pix.
    Theresa

{{gwi:538757}}{{gwi:538758}}{{gwi:538759}}

• anniebomm
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks very much Theresa! I'm so happy that I got to share these pictures with your help!

And I'm so sorry I got your name wrong!

Wow! Cool!

• threas
    14 years ago

Hi Haase, to copy the link in the 1st box,(the reason I use this code is it makes a clickable thumbnail instead of a giant picture that takes a long time to load, especially for people w/ dial-up)
    RIGHT click with your mouse(it will highlight the code in blue)now,RIGHT click again,click copy. Now go back to GW, put your cursor in the posting field like your gonna type, but your going to RIGHT click with your mouse again, this time click on PASTE. Voila! Your code should show up. Hit preview to see your pictures.

To get from PB back to GW, Open up a window 2x, one for PB, one for GW.

Hope this helps.

Theresa

• threas
    14 years ago

Ann, Glad I could help!That's OK you got my name wrong, Lucy mixed me up with my good friend, Daniella! She's the Photobucket Picture Queen!LMAO

Theresa

• daniellalell
    14 years ago

hehe, I wouldnt be offended either if you all called me Theresa by accident! lmao!
    good job with the instructions guys.

Thats a great story, and I am so glad you were able to share with them, and that they didnt give up on it and pull it, lol.
    Beautiful blooms.

• haase
    14 years ago

Just a brief note to say THANK YOU Theresa and Joyce. Will definitely work on that soon. Ran out of time right now.
    If I still can't do it, well, then you will all know how dumb I am sometimes.
    I will then have to take up Lucy on her kind offer to post pictures for me. Thanks, Lucy.
    By the way I counted 34 buds on my Angel today. Some are getting pretty big. Sure takes a long time before they open!
    But I remember what you all told me before, when I waited for the "Y"s: PATIENCE!

• givelittle_getlots
    14 years ago

and a note from me to say I am SO SORRY to Theresa and Daniella to have mixed you two up. Under normal circumstances I can tell everyone apart. But let me tell you. DH brought back a red wine from a vineyards when he visited our DD not long ago. Just to bring me some special wine back. Ok I had ONE!!!!!!!!!! Glass last night and half way through I was SO DRUNK. I knew I should not have come on here roflmao I thought I had it hidden real good ha ha ha ha WRONG!! By the time I finished the glass I also had a horrible headache and I NEVER get a headache from wine :-(

but I love both of you the same :-))))) and Haase got all the help...regardless :-))))

Haase I am waiting on the photos :-))) Will post as many as you want to until you figure it out yourself.

I am sitting twisting my thumbs too...waiting to see my angels in action. Got so many that I have never seen in bloom. At least some of the seedlings from this year are Y ing already and I am thrilled.

Lucy

• haase
    14 years ago

Lucy, I'm waiting for the buds to bloom. Maybe by then I'll have figured it out. But thanks a bunch!
    You're sooo sweet
    Hey this sounds good to me. I think I'll join you for a glass of that stuff, LOL.

Oh, P.S. - don't have any in the house. I'll opt for a can of beer.