SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
irislover_nc

Best survival story?

irislover_nc
18 years ago

Hello to all, On this (finally) chilly morning I'm trapped inside and got to thinking about how much I worry over my "babies" and how they are so well equipped to handle themselves.

I had a pot of forced tulip bulbs from last April that began to fade and got stuck on the shelf in the garage, where they remained with no water or light until yesterday. We cleaned out the garage this weekend in advance of listing our house and I found that all three had sprouted in the pot. I know tulip quality often goes down the tubes the second year but I felt they deserved some applause for effort in the face of benign neglect.

I also hopped out of the passenger's door at the McDonald's here in town when I spied several bearded iris rhizomes laying on top of the lava rock "mulch" baking in the sun. GASP!! They had done some utility work and dug up a whole section that had been planted YEARS ago and never divided. I brought back 8 rhizomes and 5 have sprouted and put down roots. One rotted and the other two look like they had long since passed on. They are obviously unnamed(haha) but are such a lovely white and will forever be known in my garden as the McDonald's iris.

So those are my two survival stories...I can't wait to hear yours.

-Meredith

Comments (9)