SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tracey_nj6

Monarch cat slacking in growth department.

tracey_nj6
15 years ago

I have a monarch cat that hatched from its egg on September 6th or 7th. It looks fine/normal, but doesn't look like it has any plans to pupate in the near future. It looks like it could be the size of a 3rd instar (finally!), and doesn't eat alot at all. Yesterday there was only one piece of frass, but it may have been in the "zone" and clearly didn't eat. I didn't notice if it had recently molted, and if it did, the old skin was already eaten. Initially I was feeding it incarnata, then put in a smorgasbord (incarnata, syriaca, curassavica) when it's developement was noticably abnormal. It does seem to prefer the curassavica, not that that really matters at this point, LOL. It has been separated from its siblings a few times due to its smaller size (duh). In my experience (well, limited compared to some of you!), they've always been on growing to what was generally expected (9-14 days as a cat, 9-14 days as a chrysalis). I realize once in a while someone comes along to screw things up a little, but this little guy has me perplexed. Its brother eclosed yesterday and 2 more should eclose today, and another in a few days, so why is this one such a slacker?

Comments (7)

Sponsored