SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hotroses

Oh Happy Day!

hotroses
18 years ago

I just found out a few days ago that we are being transferred to the Charlotte area from Houston. I am so excited for the opportunitiy to live in the Carolinas! I was raised in Colorado (zone 5), spent most of my adulthood in Oregon (zone 8) and the last five years in Houston (hot zone 9), but have never visited the east coast. - But the chance to garden in zone 7 just makes me giddy! I am SO excited to move!!! (Not that I don't like Houston, but it was 84 outside this afternoon. Somewhere in my mind this feels deeply wrong)

I have been lurking on this forum for a few weeks and have some questions - First, you seem to be talking about a lot of stuff that shouldn't survive a zone 7 winter - brugmansias, plumeria, crepe myrtles, etc. Do people put them in pots and take them inside for the winter or is there some other trick? What is the summer like? Hot and humid? Please someone tell me it isn't as hot and humid as Houston. Do you have poisonous snakes and fire ants? (I'm assuming you don't have alligators and armadillos, but someone has to tell me if I'm wrong) I see that sour cherries work, but do apples and peaches? How about asparagus and rhubarb? Lillies and hosta? Are gardeners active in garden clubs, or do they go it alone? Is there broad support for public gardens? Do people exhibit in shows? Is there tolerance for "non traditional" yards?

On Tuesday I will go to the library and check out a pile of books on North Carolina so I won't be so ignorant, but until then, Hi Y'all!

Thanks for any education you may send my way!

Beth

Comments (10)