SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
newbiesonya

Advice needed for BG in Clayton, NC

newbiesonya
18 years ago

I just moved to Clayton, NC in October and I am a beginning gardener. I plan to start with flowers and flowering trees. I have around an acre of clear cut yard which is what my husband and I will tackle first and about a half acre that it wooded which is a later project. I plan to start small with a 12x7' flower bed at the front foundation of the house which faces slightly northeast. I am also going to plant trees along my driveway which is over 100 feet long. My soil seems to be a mix of sand and clay with lots of small rocks (about 1-2" diameter) mixed in. Now for the questions:

What advice can anyone give me about growing in this type of soil? I spent about 2 hours in the flower bed area the other day picking rocks out of a 2 square foot area digging about 6 inches deep. I filled a small bucket with the rocks. Is it worth it for me to continue picking these rocks out? Will I be able to grow anything if I leave them in? Am I better off creating a raised bed? I don't want to waste any more time picking out the rocks if it is pointless to do so.

I am planning to create the flower bed using flowers of varying purple and white shades, can anyone recommend some favorite flowers or shrubs that grow well in this area? Remember I'm a beginner so the easier the better. I would love to successfully grow bearded iris and hardy hibiscus. I also have an interest in medicinal plants and would love suggestions on any of those that grow well here.

As far as the trees are concerned, my husband and I really love flowering cherry and weeping cherry trees. Does anyone have experience growing these here? I would love to know how others have fared with these. The plan is to line our driveway with 2 types of flowering trees that alternate. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I would have a good chance of being successful with? I have thought about redbuds, flowering dogwoods, crape myrtles, and flowering pears to alternate with the flowering cherry. Does anyone have experience growing these?

Since we have so much open land I would appreciate pocketbook friendly suggestions. We are going to ultimately plant a minimum of 40 trees in the next couple of years as well as flowers and shrubs so a really high success rate is important to me. We don't want to pay a landscaper to do it and believe we are up to the challenge so I extremely appreciate ANY and ALL ideas and suggestions from my fellow NC gardeners.

Thanks,

Sonya :)

Comments (24)