SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gamebird

My sick cacti need your help! (pics)

gamebird
16 years ago

The first patient is ... a barrel cactus? I don't know. It came to me 5 years ago in a tiny pot (which it still inhabits) that it shared with three other tiny, baby-sized cacti. They all died within a month, except this one, which was round and squat to start with. Over the next five years, it grew, in an office environment most of the time. This last year, it began to fall over. I brought it home and put it in full sunlight and tried to tie it to a stick to stay upright. It has begun to turn brown in spots, including where the green garden tape was holding it to the stick. I posted about it here a month or two ago and someone suggested I cut the top off and root the severed part in a new pot. They said both sides would survive this. I've been too cowardly to cut the plant in two, but I think I may have to do it soon or risk losing the whole thing. Here it is: {{gwi:566703}}

The other patient is what's left of an aloe vera pup. When I received it, it was green and plump. I transplanted it into sandy garden soil and watered heavily for a week. It turned brown and funky. Then I read you're not supposed to water them at first. So I didn't water it for 3-4 weeks and put it in full sun. Then I watered every week. It remained brown and funky. A couple days ago, one of my son's friends accidentally kicked it off the porch and I recovered it. When I was putting it back into its pot, I noticed the outer leaves have now withered. It's still brown, but about half the soil in the pot was "stuck" to the pup. I assume it has roots through the soil, which is good. But it still looks bad on the topside. What should I do to make this thing grow right?

{{gwi:566705}}

Comments (11)