Houzz Logo Print
simon_h

Soap Box

simon_h
18 years ago

Perpetuated Myths Â

Advice given for the growing of insectivorous plants, debunked

Humidity

What is this preoccupation with maintaining humidity? I can understand it is necessary for tropical species  Heliamphora, Nepenthes and so on, and they thrive on it  but for the rest? I think attempts to maintain high humidity can lead to more harm than good: it can be interpreted as poor ventilation, which can lead to rotting off. As long as their roots are kept wet, that's all the moisture they need.

Watering Overhead

"Never water from overhead", is the advice often given. Why not? Don't they get rained on? Water droplets do not set off VFT traps, really they don't. Try it and see. And water does not wash the mucus from butterworts, either.

Direct Sun

They love it, love it, love it. Why shouldn't they? There's not much shade in most boggy marshes. And the colours you get  rich veining in Sarracenias, glistening red VFT traps, gorgeous!

Water Quality

Yes, it should be of the right pH (low), yes there should be no chlorine, but it's those dissolved carbonates which are the number one enemy. Bottled water for drinking does not work (but then I think everyone knows that now).

Sphagnum Moss

It grows like a weed and can swamp a plant. They grow perfectly well without it.

Remove the Flowers from VFTs

No, no, no, no, no! No. Leave them alone. THe flowers are lovely, bees enjoy them, and flowers mean seeds, which means more VFTs, which is good. I have never seen a single one of my 40+ VFTs weakened by flowering, and now I have 120+ seedlings.

So that's my tuppence worth. I am confident that you have your own opinions. Let's hear them.

Comments (15)

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor