SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hermitonthehill

How to propagate Euphorbia mammilaris variegata - Indian Corncob?

hermitonthehill
16 years ago

Does anyone know how to best propagate Euphorbia mammilaris variegata aka Indian Corncob?

I picked this plant up for dirt-cheap - as little as a song and dance, so to speak, because whoever was in charge of the succulents and cacti at Lowe's in Athens, AL was waaaaaaay overwatering all of them and I pointed out to a manager that this particular specimen (the only one of this type that I saw) was very close to rotting at the base and in all honesty, I wasn't sure it wasn't already too far gone. So far it is hanging in there for me, a bit drier than it was (but I think it could probably stand to be repotted again in an even drier/faster draining mix) and has new growth (which seems accurate for this time of year)... BUT, I lost one of the "arms" at one point. When it fell off, I tucked it into a rooting medium hoping maybe it would root, but it didn't. So now I'm wondering if "cuttings" are the route for propagating this one and the failure was because something was "wrong" with that "arm" to begin with OR if they don't root well or at all and there's another/better method for propagating from the plant.

Does anyone know?

I currently have it in a pot with some Firesticks/Fire Sticks and two unknowns (one a cacti, the other a succulent)... but if this spring-into-summer growth continues like it is, I really think it deserves a pot all its own to "show off"... but before I jump to that, I'd really like to know on propagation for this plant so that perhaps I can arrange a "back-up" (if at all possible). Well, that and I love to share rooted cuttings whenever possible. :) But that may not be the ideal route for propagation on this baby.

Comments (11)