SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ilbasso_74

Warning: Beware of ordering from Hirts Greenhouse

ilbasso_74
16 years ago

It saddens me to have to report this, but I couldn't just let it go.

Hirts does a great deal of mail order and ebay auctions and their selection of CPs is the best that I've seen in a general nusery, but there are some problems that I felt needed to be mentioned for the protection of the CP buyers.

I've stopped in looking for the N madagascariensis that they advertise and they have been out of stock. Today, I found a plant with a label saying "Madagascar" in the SOLD area awaiting shipment but it was one of the other plants with it that concerned me.

Somebody ordered a few plants from them including the madagascariensis and a N. ventricosa. The problem is that EVERY SINGLE plant labeled as a ventricosa is NOT a ventricosa. Ventricosas don't have wings up the front! They're smooth!

The madagascariensis looked a bit like the many raffelsianas that they had, but I can't tell for sure.

Their selection is rather nice, but not cared for nearly as well as they should be. I don't want to slam them too much, but the olders CPs are not looking so great (some were aphid ridden)and are kept under woefully inadequate low wattage shop lights.

The web site's section of "seeds" claims:

A most fascinating, insect eating plant with 'Pitchers' of purple, lime green and heavily veined pinks. There are five principal species in the mixture and grown well, constantly mesmerize the beholder, including the unfortunate insects. A frost tender perennial. 6-24".

Proper name: Sarracenia purpurea (Mixed species)

The pic shows a great deal of Sarrs, but certainly not purpureas as the "common name" implies.

The new shipment has some very impresive clumps of S. "Scarlet Belle" among others, but the vendor's mislableing of the ventricosas has me concerned. This was probably not Hirts' fault, but some of the other problems just don't make for a great buying experience.

They obviously have an interest in CPs which I admire, but the specimens just aren't up to par with some of the other specialty nurseries. The inconsitancies on their web page alone are troublesome.

Order at your own risk.

Comments (16)

Sponsored