SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rashboom

Questions about caring for a new brug cutting.

rashboom
17 years ago

At our Canada Day event near Vancouver, BC, there was a lady selling what she called 'tree datura' cuttings for $5. I think it's a brugmansia --- here's what it looked like right after I bought it:

"http://members.shaw.ca/cyberhun/brug_new.jpg";

It has grown very quickly, doubling, almost tripling in length already. I re-potted it once into a larger, 12 inch diameter pot. Is it a brug? Also, I don't know what to make of some apparantly contradictory advice on caring for brugs -- some say water it well and then wait till it's almost completely dry before watering again to avoid root-rot (in other words wait a week between waterings), but other's say water it daily or even more to fertilize the heck out of it. I tried cutting back on the photoperiod to induce blooming but maybe that only works with non-tropicals which see reduced days as the beginning of the end of the season, but maybe tropicals don't work that way. Maybe tropicals bloom when they see increasing amounts of daylight because in the tropics the seasons are different? Or maybe it's just plain too small right now to bloom at all? I don't have my camera now or I'd show you a pic, but it's pretty big and growing at a fantastic rate --- any chance I might get a bloom this season?

Comments (2)