SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vera_eastern_wa

New Cuttings...New to Brugs! Lots of ???

vera_eastern_wa
14 years ago

Hello!

I am new to Brugs and have rec'd some large (abt. 14") B. x insignis cuttings in trade a few weeks ago (yellow but possibly a pink included). I should have been more prepared, but couldn't go the 40 miles into town for potting soil as planned. Anyways I had enough left (MG potting soil) to get one well rooted 14" cutting potted into an 8" x 6.5" deep pot (about 1.5-2" stem buried). I've got the other 3 in a vase of water...just enough to come over the roots and I change the water daily. I'll be able to get more potting soil within the next 2 or so weeks. I've never used anything other than MG, but read on Happytoes site to avoid pre-fertilized potting soil. What do you recommend; I'll be shopping at Walmart most likely as it's the closest most convenient location for us, but if necessary I will go the extra mile! What brand/type fert should I look for? I do have a degree in greenhouse and nursery Mngmt., but am completely new to Brugs and their care and I'm completely freaked I'll do something wrong!!

I've read here that I should keep it in shade for at least 2 weeks. Does that mean full shade or it it the same as I would do with my seedlings and other over-wintered plants? For those I do shade one full day and slowly more sun over a 2 week period. I'm confused on that one!

Also I've read some about stripping leaves in fall before bringing them in and again in spring before taking them back out. From what I understand it is to avoid leaf scorch now and avoiding bringing in pests in fall. If I strip I would avoid the whole sun issue then right? This is what my potted up cutting looks like...would I remove these few leaves and leave the immature green branch be? Is it even necessary to remove so few leaves?

{{gwi:489525}}

{{gwi:489526}}

{{gwi:489527}}

PS Will I need to move up to a 5 gal. container yet this spring or should I wait until roots are showing? What if it's mid summer before that happens? I would then want to wait until fall wouldn't I? I can't imagine disturbing in mid summer. Oh and that brings up another question, should I bury the pot?

Thanks for any clarification!

Vera

Comments (9)