SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
peachymomo_gw

Shrubbery reccomendations needed

peachymomo
10 years ago

It's looking like I might get to have the dry creek installed in my backyard sooner than I was expecting, thanks to my generous father. Which has me thinking about what I will plant around it when it's done. There will be two different zones for planting, the east-west stretch is just to the north of our neighbor's large redwood trees so it gets more shade and it will also be where the majority of the water will be draining through. The north-west stretch along the back of the property is closer to the oaks, gets more sun, and has fewer problems with drainage. In the corner where the two meet I plan on having a dry well/rain garden to allow water to collect and percolate down into the ground.

Here a photo taken looking down the length of the east-west fence, the dry creek kind of got started just to get gutter water moving away from the house a little while ago.
{{gwi:544481}}

This one is looking towards the corner where the rain garden will be.
{{gwi:544482}}

You can see in the second picture where the most privacy screening is needed, I'd like evergreen shrubs that get 12-15' tall and thrive in shady conditions with occasional flooding. I'd also like to add some shorter plants in front, and possibly some small trees in places for interest. I don't mind giving the plants near the redwood trees some supplemental water, but the ones that are going to be planted closer to the oaks I would like to be able to stop watering once they are established. My other desire is for plants that will make good habitat for birds and other critters, ideally I want a mixed hedgerow that serves to create privacy, beauty, and shelter for wildlife.

Suggestions, please?

Comments (21)