SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
central_cali369

Getting rid of my lawn!

Central_Cali369
14 years ago

After much thought and lobbying with the rest of the family, I've gotten rid of a large part of our underused lawn. It was such a waste of space and water, since no one ever went out there except for once in a month or so. This heat couldn't come at a better time either. I decided to go the old fashion way and tear up the lawn. The heat allowed the upturned lawn to dry within a couple of days. After posting some questions here and on other forums, i've chosen drought tolerant plants. I've planted Aloe marlothii, aloe ferox, aloe excelsa, agave vilmorniana, beschorneria yuccoides, arbutus, thyme, erica mamosa, grevillea.... and i've also changed most of the sprinklers into drip systems. Here are a couple of pics of the progress: please exuse the mess, i'ts still a work in progress.

This patio was surrounded in lawn. Now, I have Dracaena Draco, hesperaloe parviflora, dypsis decipiens, atbutus 'marina' and several aloes. The almond tree was pre-existing and will be gone soon.

{{gwi:543529}}

This is a really akward part of the yard. I tried to create some symetry with a dracaena draco in the middle, two arbutus marina, some hesperaloe parviflora, creeping rosemary "huntington", common flag iris... I think that's pretty much it.

{{gwi:543533}}

Here's a look from a different side. The areas with mulch were unchanged. The strappy plant next to my doggy is beschorneria yuccoides. You can also see an Aloe Marlothii in the bottom left side under the leafy shrub. That little hill that use to be covered in grass has been planted with succulents including an Aloe Ferox at the center.

{{gwi:41611}}

A closer view of the hill including a Furcraea, agave medio picto alba, agave angustifolia...

{{gwi:543538}}

And a final overall look at the area now without lawn. The only lawn left is that strip along the covered patio to the right and a bit more beyond.

{{gwi:543541}}

Comments (7)