SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bettyn_gardener

Ground cover between flag stones

15 years ago

I would appreciate any suggestions or trouble shooting feedback...

I live in Sunset Zone 14 - Davis.

Last summer we hired a landscaper to lay a flagstone path around a raised bed and on a short path to a water fountain. Each stone is individually set on concrete with soil and a drip system between the stones. He planted a variety of plants - blue star creeper, Scotch moss, sedum and several varieties of thyme. The sedum, which is planted on the edges of the path are doing pretty well. The thyme is getting established in just a few areas. I planted another two flats of creeping thyme early this spring. Most of it has died off. The path has areas of both sun and shade. There doesn't seem to be any consistency in terms of what areas make it and areas that die off.

Is there a variety of thyme that is tougher than others and tolerant of different light conditions? A friend suggested that I seed it with dichondra. What do you think about that?

One other thing - we do have two dogs - Mini Schnauzers. There doesn't seem to be a relationship between where they do their business and where the plants have died.

Thanks in advance for your help!

BettyN

Comments (7)