SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kooshball_gw

Slug & Snail resistant ground cover for in between patio pavers?

kooshball
14 years ago

1.5 years ago my wife and I built a natural stone patio using local rocks and quarry screenings. We always planned to have a ground cover between the pavers so we seeded the area with Irish Moss. The worked well until the slugs got into the area and destroyed 70% of the Irish Moss. Rather than fight the slugs and have to put out poison regularly I would like to get recommendations on alternative plants that will work for this application (light foot traffic) and that will be resistant to slugs, snails and other diseases that might impact the neighboring fescue (blight, dollar spot, brown patch, etc).

The site is situated in central NC (Wake County, Zone 7) along the NW wall of our house and in the summer receives shade until 12:30 - 1pm then full sun until 4:30 - 5pm. In the winter the direct sunlight received is a bit less. The area is graded properly but can be maintained moist via irrigation if necessary. The stones are set in quarry screenings that are ~6" deep which then sit on top of back-fill clay as provided during the original construction.

Please let me know if there are other, tougher suggestions for planting between these pavers that will resist pests and tolerate light foot traffic.

Thanks to all!

Comments (3)

Sponsored
DB Landscape Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Beautiful & Functional Landscape Designs in Franklin County