SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tpolony

Sick Monarchs Healed; If it wasn't OE, what was it?

tpolony
14 years ago

I had 2 sick monarchs. The female was weak eclosing, fell twice, somewhat lethargic, formed her proboscis a whole day late (that's for another thread), swollen abdomen, etc.

The male was so weak that he was lying around on his side, not even able to sit up. It was only a few hours before I expected him to die, but lo and behold, next day he was still with me. I didn't want to euthanize, figuring he'd die on his own within a day or so.

I fed both of them both, thought I'd at least try to make them comfortable (unrolled the proboscis to get things started) and they ate heartily.

Long story short, several days later, they had vastly improved and were flying around their respective enclosures like normal spazzy butterflies. This only occurred after their abdominal swelling went down -- they were probably too bottom heavy to take off before that.

I was so sure it was OE, but I looked under the microscope and there were no spores.

A week before this, I had a similar experience with another female.

Anyone have any idea what it could've been -- particularly for the male, who was incredibly weak -- if it wasn't OE?

From now on, I'm not going to assume a weak butterfly is a lost cause. These guys are raring to go now after a rough start. A happy ending!

Comments (2)

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus