SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
andrew_scott77

Hummel's Sunset Jade

Andrew Scott
13 years ago

Hi everybody,

I am new to this forum but not to cacti or succulents. Right now I have 2 orcid cacti and 3 christmas cacti. I actually have one of the christmas cacti in bud now. I think this was from the cool spring temps outside. Anyways, I saw some pics here of this jade and I really like it. Can anyone tell me where I might find it? Thank you.

Andrew

Comments (95)

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    13 years ago

I never accept compensation for shipment.
    It keeps my conscience clean....and allows me righteous indignation if there are any complaints! ;)
    For instance, I procrastinate; and if I accept money, then I am obligated to ship in a timely fashion.
    Also, if I accept money, I feel obligated to send a choice cutting - lest I disappoint the recipient.
    Therefore, I take no money, so that I can ship a cutting of my choice and on my own schedule.

I've taken over a year to send out cuttings before....
    But I've always made good on my promises.

Josh

• newnewnie
    13 years ago

Josh,
    Newbies like me feel like mooches if we don't repay shipping costs! If I had anything cool to send in return, I would do that instead of pay money. But the only thing I have 'extras' of are some euphorbia tirucalli 'sticks on fire' and they are pretty common, so I doubt anyone is interested.
    Britty

• Related Discussions

WANTED: Wanted: Hummels Sunset Jade Cutting

Q

Comments (1)
    i have hummel's sunset starts if you are interested and still looking?
    ...See More

Beautiful Hummel's Sunset Jade Plant

Q

Comments (15)
    Hello All. Thanks everyone, glad you all like it. Yes the weather here in the UK has been very strange lately, I was on the river side on sunday enjoying the sun, now tuesday, were told to expect snow tomorrow lol. I live in Hull and have been looking in every garden center locally for years, and after a long search on the internet, I found a place called southfield nurseries in Lincolnshire that sold much smaller ones. It is a 2 hour drive from my home so I called and asked if they had any bigger ones, wich they did, but they won't deliver these as they are too big for transit. Luckily for me, they have a friend who also lives in Hull, and were visiting at the weekend, so they very kindly offered to take one to his house for me to pick up :) When I picked it up, it was just at the end of flowering, lots of dead flower at the end of each banch, really hope it flowers again next year. Does anybody have any tips on ensuring it does, and does anybody know, if I were to prune it slightly, is now a good time of year to do it? Kind regards, Steve.
    ...See More

Unhappy 'Hummel's Sunset' Jade Succulent

Q

Comments (5)
    Amanda, A picture would tell us with authority what the problem likel is. Alternatively, you could go through the last 300 posts, a good number of them featuring plants like yours. Dr. Doug, You don't think you can diagnose it with authority as a case of soila craptastica?
    ...See More

hummel's sunset jade

Q

Comments (8)
    I didn't use an order form and the Hummel's Sunset is not listed on her website. I emailed her and asked for an established plant or cuttings she has to sell (she has both available). She send me some pics-price of the Hummel's Sunset- Crossby's Compact. The price is away much cheaper than the one on Ebay. Thanks to Gray (greenthumb_gray) who let me know about K and L Cactus Nursery :)
    ...See More
  • meyermike_1micha
    13 years ago

I DITTO that Josh!!:-)

Mike

• haworthia
    13 years ago

Newnie,
    Don't worry, I'm not the seller on ebay (smile). I already bought 2 Sunset Hummels from ebay and wanted to give others the opportunity to own this beautiful plant. Also I bought 2 others which I later found out was variegated jade from jadepoint instead of SH (Thanks to all the experts on this forum). There's truly a difference in the two jades now that I have them both. I first saw this plant from Debra Balwin latest book on container succulent gardening and I had to have one. My co-worker saw it and we both loved it. I bought one for me and one for her birthday next week. Good luck with the bidding. This is my first jade plant thus far. As my user name reveals , I LOVE and try to collect rare haworthias and gasterias.

Norma, Thanks for your generosity on your offer of SH cuttings.

• meyermike_1micha
    13 years ago

Have you ever tried e-snipe? You practicly always win the bid on that..:-)

Mike

• norma_2006
    13 years ago

Not to worry Karen, I will only send out 10 cuttings non larger than 4" not rooted. So the first 10 will get them, I will not send them priority mail. I will not ship out of the country, meaning the lower 48, will not ship to Hawaii or Alaska, They will have a label as to what they are, I will not cut them until they are ready to be put into the box, Nate you are #2 I need you to send me your address, make sure I can read your writing. Lets do this off forum. Crasulady2@dslextreme.com

• yaslan
    13 years ago

Hi Norma,
    I would love to get on your list. I've been searching for the Hummel's Sunset and would be greatly appreciative. Please email me.

Thanks,

Bo

• norma_2006
    13 years ago

Greenman you are not the only person on the forum, so now I am very careful to spell things out more carefully as Jeff pointed it out, when I spell a species name wrong and left out a letter. It was obvious what I was talking about. He knew what I was talking about that is the why he corrected me. I don't want to waste my time making correction of others either. I was going to put 10 pieces of "Jade" in the box for 10 different people, and let some one else do the mailing each piece was going to be marked for whoever ordered it. No one volunteered. So I changed by plans as Karen Pirate Girl suggested. My plants my rules, You send plants and you can do it any way you want. Norma

• yaslan
    13 years ago

Hi Norma,

I was very excited about the hummel's sunset and past the part about helping out with mailing. I can help out! Please let me know what you need.

Also, Thanks to my good friend Andrew for letting me know about this offer!

Bo

• juleclmns
    13 years ago

Here in Germany you can buy the Hummel`s Sunset in every store starting for a few Euro (Dollar), but on the other hand you become other plants which are hard to find for me in Germany ;-)

I have a Hummel`s sunset, about 10 years of age and it`s one of my favourite jade plants because I like the yellow and red on it.

Julia =)

Here is a link that might be useful: Hummel`s sunset

13 years ago

Norma,
    I do not know what you are talking about. I have no idea, honestly.
    Whatever transpired between you and Jeff is your own business.
    I was not trying to offend. Please offer me that same courtesy.
    Thank you,

Josh

• norma_2006
    13 years ago

I went to the link suggested, I now know why very few Crassula are not named correctly, I don't think even one was accurate, it made me cringe. Sorry to be so critical, I wish they would look them up before putting a name on them. There is now plenty of material to refer to at this time, and there is no excuse. It's is as bad as by spelling/typing errors. How does one tell them gently. Norma

• User
    13 years ago

Well then Norma, could you perhaps pls. suggest other sites folks can check which you know to be more accurate? Any site referrals you can make pls?

• Andrew Scott
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Okay , I had posted a message this morning but for some reason it didn't post. Must be a problem with GW. I checked my mail this morning and to my surprise, I had a small package from Norma. I had just given her my sdress 2 days ago and I got my cutting today. She sent me a very nice Hummel's sunset jade cutting. I have to say that this is a VERY nice and healthy cutting. I actually like it more than the Hummel's I paid $22.00 for! I all ready potted it up and I had to remove 4-5 leaves so I can root the cutting. Thanks again Norma! Anyone who is getting cuttings from her will be EXTREMELY happy!
    Andrew

13 years ago

Awesome! Pics when you can, man!

Josh

• norma_2006
    13 years ago

The offer has come to an end, the last two will be mailed out Monday. Norma

• Andrew Scott
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Norma,
    Thank you again. Your offer was very generous and hopefully some day I will have a plant that you will like and I can send you a cutting of it.
    I have to say that the people who missed out on this opportunity really missed out(Unless they didn't want it.). Norma took great care and consideration when she took these cuttings and they were packaged with great care.
    Josh,
    I will take some pictures Sunday. The great thing about my cutting was that there was a nice sized branch just above the base of the cutting. In order for me to get it into a pot without breaking it, I had to cut off this branch and remove some of the leaves. Now I have 2 cuttings and 8 leaves that I am going to root after they have had the chance to heal over. I told Norma that once they all have a chance to grow and get large enough, I will return her generosity and offer either cuttings or some of the rooted leaves to my friends and to the people here.I think that is a great way to repay Norma.
    Andrew

• User
    13 years ago

I am hoping those lucky enough to receive Norma's cuttings will all reimburse her for postage. While she may not have used Priority Mail, it still did cost her money.

• Andrew Scott
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Pirate Girl,
    If you read Norma's offer carefully, you would have seen that she had specified that she was not going to accept ANY reimbursement for her postage. I emailed her and told her that I would reimburse her but she said no. I told her that I would give her cuttings of any of my plants and the only thing she said to that was that it meant it a lot to her that I offered them to her. She also told me that what was important was for me to let them grow healthy and large and maybe some day if she lost hers I would give her cuttings back but she wants people to share cuttings of the jades she gave to people after there cuttings grow healthy and strong. I told her that I had no problem with that. Especially knowing personally how pricey buying a Hummel's can be.
    Andrew

• User
    13 years ago

Thanks Andrew, I apologize as it seems I DID miss that.

Unfortuantely, (IME) trying to give Norma plants is rather like coals to Newcastle, been there tried that (& I know her personally).

(Tho' I will smile when I say I believe did turn her on to Hoyas even if her love for them was shorter lived than mine.)

Sorry, no I had NOT seen her decline payment for this. I sit corrected & trust it's clear I meant no offense.

(PG) Karen

• Andrew Scott
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Karen,
    No offense taken. I just don't want anyone thinking that I wa trying to take advantage of her. She is such a nice, kind, and generous peron. Her and I have been emailing each other since yesterday and I am very glad her and I have been emailing each other back and forth ever since.
    I am sorry that I snapped at you. I apolgize.
    Andrew

• User
    13 years ago

Thanks Andrew, I appreciate it.

Moving on ...

• newnewnie
    13 years ago

YAY! My husband tells me I recieved my package today from Norma! Thank you so much again Norma for your very generous offer!
    Brittany

• yaslan
    13 years ago

I received Norma's Hummel's Sunset Jade cuttings today. Thank you! They look very good and healthy. I am very excited and can't wait to pot these beauties up!
    When these cuttings get larger, I will be sure to share them with as much folks as I can. I think this is a very good tradition you have going. Thank you for your generosity and kindness.

Bo

• newnewnie
    13 years ago

Hey everyone, I thought I'd share the happiness Norma brought me today by sending these wonderful cuttings!
    {{gwi:556637}}
    {{gwi:556639}}
    {{gwi:556641}}
    {{gwi:556643}}
    {{gwi:556645}}
    {{gwi:556646}}
    One more time, THANK YOU NORMA! Not only did you provide me a Hummel's Sunset cutting, you also provided me with several others that I did not yet have! You've really made my week!

• nikki702
    13 years ago

Lovely cuttings :)

• newnewnie
    13 years ago

Oh one more thing, here's the "Hummel's Sunset" that jadepoint.com sells - my husband surprised me with it, but I found out through this thread that it isn't really a "Hummel's Sunset' - but it's pretty cool looking anyways!
    He bought two of them- here they are:
    {{gwi:556648}}
    {{gwi:556650}}

13 years ago

One can never have too many Jades....
    ~ African proverb ;)

Josh

• Andrew Scott
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Nancy had told me that she had sent me an email awhile back. She had told me that she also had 'Gollum' and the 'Hobbit' jades. She told me that she would be happy to send these to me for postage. I happily excepted her offer. Well yesterday her package arrived. I was shocked to see that not only did she send me the 'Gollum' and 'Hobbit' but she also included 7 other jades that I did not have and to echervias!! Thank you so much Nancy for your kindnes and generosity!! I only wish that I had something that you would have liked to trade them for. I will make sure to post my new treasures here today. One of which Nancy told me is a rare pink flowering jade! I am so excited and later today I should be going to buy more. I am hoping to find a few more jades that I don't have and I also want to find a bunch of echervias that I am going to fill my strawberry pot.
    Andrew

• newnewnie
    13 years ago

Very cool Andrew! Looking forward to you posting some pictures of your new treasures!

13 years ago

Without any hesitation, I can say that Nancy is one of the nicest people here!
    Kind, generous, and never a terse word!

Josh

• Andrew Scott
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I wanted to give an update on the Hummel's Sunset jade that Norma sent to me exactly two weeks ago today. I followed her advise down to the last detail, and yesterday, I noticed roots on both of my Hummel's Sunset cuttings. I ended up cutting off the branch on the cutting that was at the bottom of the cutting so it would be easier to bury the bottom of it. Thanks again Norma! With your directions for rooting cuttings, no one should fail rooting them!! I will post pictures of them potted up tomorrow or Monday.
    Andrew

• norma_2006
    13 years ago

I just hope that I started a trend here of sharing. Nancy and all who pitched in I Thank you. Norma

• jmomcon
    13 years ago

Well It seems I came late to this party but if and when any of you get plants big enough to snip a cutting from , I would love one.Since I saw a lovely large tricolor plant@ the Gardner Museum in Boston I have been looking all over for a variegated jade and I am lost in the confusion of what is what. At last I think the Hummels Sunset is the most colorful and the one I want.or maybe Crassula argentea 'Sunset'I am not sure of the difference ?????
    Alternatively a lead on a reliable site would be great too.
    Thanks, Jessica

• jmomcon
    13 years ago

Just a quick note I did find some very reasonably priced on ebay from Kennethuy.
    $2.95 each plus shipping
    Still curious though what the difference is between Hummels sunset and Crassula Argentea Sunset if any one knows. Thanks
    Jesica

• warrengk
    13 years ago

Here are some photos of my Hummels Sunset jade, and also my wavy leaf jade, or propeller jade, that i bought from walmart! the hummels sunset finally is turning yellow!

{{gwi:556652}}

{{gwi:556654}}

{{gwi:556656}}

{{gwi:556658}}

• puglvr1
    13 years ago

VERY NICE Warren...lovely Jades you have there. Love them all, but my favorite is the Hummel Sunset...So pretty! Thanks for posting! Mine won't look like that till almost winter...too hot and humid here.

• smoochas
    13 years ago

Wow, I've just stumbled across this thread and am floored by the beauty of this jade plant! My DH killed our last jade plant so I'm determined to guard whatever new ones we get like a momma-bear! I missed out but I'm glad lots of others were recipients of kind Norma's gesture. This forum rocks!

• Andrew Scott
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Warren,
    I really enjoyed your pics, especially your Hummel's Sunset. Today, I am going to put one of mine out. It's the first Hummel's that I bought that was a rooted plant. I wanted to ask you what the variegated jade in the fourth pic is called. I just got this one a few weeks back. Any ideas?
    Andrew

• newnewnie
    13 years ago

Looks like a tricolored to me andrew :)

13 years ago

Yes, I think so, too.
    Rosemary can help us with the proper name if this is written incorrectly:

Crassula ovata ssp. obliqua f. variegata cv. Tricolor

Josh

• warrengk
    13 years ago

yes, it is tricolor! here are some photos of my good friends hummels sunset jade. its the largest hummels sunset jade ive ever seen in person. hope you enjoy!

warren

{{gwi:556659}}

{{gwi:556661}}

• newnewnie
    13 years ago

wow warren! That makes me giddy just seeing pictures! Thanks for sharing!

• meyermike_1micha
    13 years ago

WOWOWOW. I knew I there was a reason that the hummel Jade is my favorite next to mine of course...

I love it!!! Beautiful and BIG!

Thank you for giving those of us hope who own nothing but a 5 inch Hummel, or smaller one, not to say a few leaves besides we are trying to root. I can only hope I am around long enough to see mine grow that big..

Mike

• puglvr1
    13 years ago

TRULY AMAZING! Can you say Ebay,lol...?

13 years ago

Great pics!
    That does give one hope!

Josh

• warrengk
    13 years ago

That is a big one! its about 4 feet tall. amazing isnt it? mine is slowly growing in a one gallon pot! i hope also to see mine get that big one day too! unless my friend decides he doesnt want it anymore, and says some dig her up! but i doubt that will happen, although, it would be nice!

• jmomcon
    13 years ago

OMG! where do they grow that size?
    Jessica

• warrengk
    13 years ago

Well the one in the picture is located in los angeles, ca. on a south facing wall, he said hes had it over 8 years. to me it looks like he needs a little prune up! ;o)

• Marisa Baldwin
    8 years ago

moutain crest gardens mail order has several kinds of jade risa