SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
maryt_gardener

Coming to Carolina soon--t;hanks

maryt_gardener
17 years ago

I posted awhile ago that we were considering a move to the Charlotte area, well the transfer has gone through we will be moving sometime in November.

I am in the process of finishing closing up my garden in Fargo ND and am thinking I will dig up some perenials--dormant now--as we've already had snow! and bringing them with me to the new location.

I have about a dozen perenials here, I used to live in Wisconsin where I was used to woodland and shade gardening and also gardening both in sandy loam and in clay. Here in fargo it is dark clay. I guess the new place it will be red clay most likely.

I currently have the following plants-- joe pye weed, yarrow, iris, day lilly, dead nettle, hosta, aster, daisy, liatris, tansy, chives, varigated grass, fern, lilly of the valley, purple coneflower, columbine.

I'm thinking most likely all of these could be grown in the Charlotte area. But I"m really excited that I can begin to grow some tropicals too when we move!

Since my plants are mainly almost dormant now I think it will be ok to dig them up and just maybe wrap the roots with plastic bags and stick them in some peat moss padded rubbermaid tubs for the trip. Then they will have to be planted after we get to the new place.

I plan to keep them in the garage until we move--just in case it snows before we leave. It snowed here already once but it melted.

I want to thank all who posted earlier when I asked about gardening there and gave me so much great advice on where to live etc..

I was really inspired by how many of you all (ya'all?) mentinoed how much you LOVE living there.

I've only been in Fargo about a year, we formerally lived in Wisconsin. I have gotten in the Fargo habit of saying 'ya' frequently--I think its a norwegian thing--

so now I'm looking forward to adding the double L to the the ya.

It sure will be awesome to see anything green or flowering in winter-- cuz trust me--in Fargo-- you get black white and shades of gray and that is IT for winter. mary t

Comment (1)