SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
renataka_gw

What to plant up the sides of a shade structure?

renataka
13 years ago

Hi everyone - I have the luxury of starting fresh on the backyard - we cleared -everything- out. My husband has built a very large redwood shade structure with 6x6 posts.

I've been thinking about what kind of tall narrow tree to plant up against the posts or maybe even a vine.

Here's the challenge: The tree/vine may not reach any higher than 8'6" to the top of the post because the horizontal top of the shade structure will be covered in solar panels. And solar panels don't work if they're even partially covered in shade.

Our soil is fairly neutral ph clay, which I am working hard to amend. Three of the 6 posts are always in semi-shade, 3 of the posts are always in full sun. I'm most interested in something edible - was thinking columnar apple trees, maybe a fruiting vine, although keeping it strictly vertical without letting it splay across the top of the structure would be tricky. But perhaps a simple climbing rose might be my best bet? As we have small children I prefer something non-poisonous and not-thorny, but my kids are old enough to respect garden rules. Something water-thrifty would be a very nice bonus.

We are located close to San Jose, which means pretty intensely hot dry summers, very little wind, mild winter temps - just a handful of nights down in the 30s. No problem with deer as we are urban.

Thanks in advance, everyone

Comments (4)