SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rootdiggernc

Food List for Spring Trade 2005

rootdiggernc
19 years ago

Figured I better get this started.

Just sign up and let us know what you can bring. That way some of us can fill in the blank spots as needed. For those that just don't like to cook, or don't have the time, there's always things like...

Sodas/Sweettea

Paper plates

Plasticware - forks/spoons

Cups

Napkins

Snacks - Chips, dip, cookies, brownies "CHOCOLATE ECLAIR CAKE (LOL),...etc...

If you bring a dish, try to bring a utensil for it.

Just to give those of you new to this some ideas. The 1st time all we did was finger food type snacks. The second time we did hotdogs, baked beans, deviled eggs, etc. I think some brought boxed chicken too. Last fall we did chili with all the fixins. Someone even made some White Dove chili ?? (I think that was the name). This year we've grown a lot so I guess we're doing a "whatever flips your trigger" potluck event.

I'm going to do baked beans and some kind of salad (potatoe or pasta) and will wait to see what fill ins we need for the rest.

If you have any questions, post here or email me.

D

Comments (44)

• dirtrx
    19 years ago

I've got the chocolate eclair and a pineapple casserole. Shannon

• trianglejohn
    19 years ago

We have the entire shelter which has like 4 or 5 large grills around it. And it does have electricity so we are set as far as cooking goes. The bathrooms are very close by with running water if the spigots at the shelter don't work.

I can bring anything. And I will eat everything (as usual)

burp

• Related Discussions

Spring Swap - Food Sign Up List

Q

Comments (67)
    I've compiled the food list. Not that it's all inclusive or anything. No one is going to get mad if you don't get to bring something that you've put yourself down for. As TJ said earlier, there are stores nearby. assorted canned drinks aisgecko's pals baby pickles kioria baked beans nancedar bottled water shari1332 Bowls tietie Brownies Angie (Vickie's friend) jnhidden bundt cake jeane buns arwenlurks new2nc alicia7b shari1332 cactusrequiem cake? jnhidden calamondin orange meringue pie cactusrequiem charcoal shari1332 shari1332 chew bread kioria chili for dogs brenda chips shari1332 Chocolate Eclair Cake! Hi Shannon! :D Shannon condiments - kethchup/mustard Vickie cups karen__w drinks - soda/sweetea/unsweet/water alicia7b flavored water lynnencfan forks jeane rootdigger fruit salad karen__w homemade salsa and guac tamelask hotdogs keithrnjd tyndall shari1332 jeane shari1332 cactusrequiem ICE aisgecko's pals new2NC iced tea ratgirl kraut? Shannon lemon bars ferndottar lemon or limeade? tamelask napkins new2nc karen__w onions Vickie pasta salad Tyndall pecan pie ferndottar Plates arwenlurks potato salad aisgecko cactusrequiem lynnencfan potatoes goldiemom relish arwenlurks salad anna_8nc salad or dessert new2nc salt & Pepper new2nc? slaw Vickie spoons tietie rootdigger strawberries nancedar veggie dogs kioria waldorf salad TJ white chicken chili tietie need to take chili to dellare at BB's
    ...See More

wanted: food and stuff list for the 2010 spring mag swap

Q

Comments (41)
    I'm doing my Costco run on Wednesday, is there anything else we need? Just want to double-check. I'm presuming there will be grill equipment on site? If not, then my alternate food to bring is -- cooked rotisserie chicken & rolls. Let me know. Jette
    ...See More

have: food list for mag fall 2005: sat, october 15th @ ssfs

Q

Comments (28)
    This is my first swap and I am so looking forward to meeting everyone. I will also bring potato salad along with the sesame noodles and brownies. Talk about carbs! LOL
    ...See More

2018 MAG Spring Swap: FOOD & Potluck List (5/12/18)

Q

Comments (1)
    Please let me know if I'm doing this right. For potluck, I can bring: (for at least 10ppl.; let me know if you expect 20 ppl or more) 1) bottled water 2) fruit salad 3) green salad and dressings 4) paper bowls & plastic forks 5) heavy duty trash bags (Home Depot contractor bags) 6) toilet paper 7) ice cubes 8) plastic cups
    ...See More
  • rootdiggernc
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks John, I wasn't sure about the set up at the big shelter. We've never quite made it there, lol.

Shannon, everyone always looks forward to your chocolate eclair and the pineapple casserole is a fav of my hubbys! Thank you!

• trianglejohn
    19 years ago

Do we really need real food - or should we just focus on sweets???

I'm planning on making a run to either Sam's Club or Lowe's Food right before the swap. I'm thinking fried chicken.

• rootdiggernc
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I'll go with what ever every one else wants to do, but real food sounds good.

Chicken always works and I can put the bb's in a crock pot and plug them back in once I get there. Last time we used a cast iron pot on the grill. I'll try to remember to bring an extension cord too, just in case.

• trianglejohn
    19 years ago

Three of us swappers live within walking distance of the park and three grocery stores are within 5 minutes so last minute purchasing should pose no problem.

Epiphyllum -thats the word I forgot in my last post. I am now addicted to Epiphyllum and none of them are even old enough to bloom. I need therapy.

• rootdiggernc
    Original Author
    19 years ago

OK, that'll work great for those last minute folks. Thanks.

Cool, a fellow Epi ADDICT! I have one that bloomed last year. Most of mine are still babies though. Do you have the rick rack? I think I can get ya a piece of that one.

• trianglejohn
    19 years ago

Long ago I had the one similar to ric-rac but the leaves look more like fish tails and the whole branch of leaves was much wider.

I was once visiting Houston during the season that epi's bloom and there were places with huge baskets of them in full bloom (in the evening). They did not look real. Some of the color combos they have come up with...

This year I also bought an Easter cactus (similar to Christmas Cactus). Its flowers are also 'alien-life-form' pink, totally un natural. And it has bloomed and bloomed and bloomed. Gotta get some cuttings rooted of it and toss out a few of the X-mas duds.

I think the Kalanchoe will still have some fading flowers on it by swap time. They look like standard "mother of millions" kalanchoes, little star shapes in bright orange/pink. But the stem is long, the flowers make a nice umbrella shape, and each individual flower is a little larger. The plant itself has not grown much.

• nancyofnc
    19 years ago

I don't think I would like to eat Kalanchoe so perhaps I'll bring some Mustard Potato Salad, unless you all are allergic to mustard, then I'll make Plain Ol' Potato Salad. What's the vote?

Have any of you grown mustard for the seed? I do a lot of pickling so a nice pile of organic mustard seed would be nice if it grows well here. I'm not into eating mustard "greens" since I've only been Southern for 11 years in NC and 2 in GA. Not enough time to aquire a taste for it I guess.

• tietie
    19 years ago

So should I bring the Dove's Nest Chili again? I keep seeing it mentioned, but not sure if its a good thing or not.

Tanya

• trianglejohn
    19 years ago

Nancy - I thought the seed came from the same plant. You just wait til it makes little seed pods and harvest them. I don't think it would be hard or even space consuming to grow some. Mustard seeds are essential for good pickles (if my mama taught me anything....)

Yes to anything Chili!

• nancyofnc
    19 years ago

tietie - Your Dove's Nest Chili is surely a good thing. Please bring some to the swap. We think it is wonderful and that is why it is mentioned in so many places on this forum!

• aisgecko
    19 years ago

I'm probably bringing gazpacho. It's easy to make ahead of time and that's good for me. Soo you there! -Ais.

• tamelask
    19 years ago

i'll bring homemade guac & salsa to go with the chips & gazpacho. mmm. i'm getting hungry!

getting off the subject of food-
    rootdigger, i have a night blooming cereus that has never bloomed & i've had it for many many many moons(@18 yrs). put it in the basement this yr hoping the cold/dry would stimulate it. nothing so far, but we'll see. could i beg, borrrow or steal some rick rack? pretty pretty please? i don't care if it never blooms- the foliage is way too cool!! you can have a piece of the cereus if you're interested. tammy

• rootdiggernc
    Original Author
    19 years ago

OK, here's the list of eats so far..........

John - chicken

Tam - salsa, guac and chips

AIS - gazpacho

Tanya - White Dove chili (lol, I did get that name right)

Shannon - chocolate eclair and pineapple casserole

Nance - mustard potato salad...either works for us. What's your pref?

Me - baked beans, bowls and ...........

Looks like we still need drinks, paper stuff-plates/napkins...plasticware-forks/spoons... and cups, a couple more chicken volunteers?

I guess we need some bowls too for the gazpacho and chili? I'll add that to my list.

• jjthrash
    19 years ago

We can bring broccoli salad.

• tamelask
    19 years ago

well, i actually wasn't going to bring the chips- i figured someone who didn't wanna cook could bring those. but if noone else does, we can bring those, too. tam

• rootdiggernc
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Ohhh, forgot to put ice on the list! I'll bring a cooler full.

Tam, thank you and that's fine we'll see who else pops up. I know we have a few that would much rather grab stuff like chips.

Thanks Jimmy! That sounds good!

• tyndall
    19 years ago

Rootdigger, you can put me down for more chicken. Let me know if there's anything else I can do.

• shari1332
    19 years ago

I'll bring some fried chicken, a gallon of tea and some cups.

• tamelask
    19 years ago

oooh- that reminds me, i should be able to bring a gallon of homemade limeade(maybe strawberry limeade). that should make up for the chips. :)

yeah, i thought there were a couple folks who said they wanted to do the easy stuff, like chips. i'll probably be cursing myself fri eve as i'm chop chop chopping.....

• trianglejohn
    19 years ago

With the weather and gas prices it is next to impossible to nail down just how many people will show up at these swaps. Something always seems to come up at the last minute (or is that just me?). Don't worry about how much to bring, just bring what you can. We'll make it work no matter what happens.

• jivyjoys
    19 years ago

I just found out that I will be able to come to the swap. I am a bit of a newbie, but very excited to be able to come. I will bring some plates and bowls, napkins. I think I will also make some lavender lemonade. I will not have a lot of plants to swap as I am on the needy side just having moved last July. I will have a few swaps though!

• dirtrx
    19 years ago

Welcome Jivyjoys- you'll have a great time! As long as you are bringing something to help the food consumption you'll be welcome.

• rootdiggernc
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I am really looking forward to all the lemon (mentioned on other board, and here) and lime-ades folks are talking about bringing. I love lemon/lime anything. I missed the ones at the last swap we did. Need to get in line faster or something, lol...

Between here and an email from Eliz I recvd' we have 4 folks volunteering to bring chicken, so I believe we're set to go on that. Thanks everyone!

Tam, I was just thinking I may be able to convince my son to come along for the homemade salsa. I'm slowly but surely bringing him along into the addictive world of plants. Food bribes help, lol.

John, you're right we always have plenty of plants and food. Everyone come regardless of how much or how little you can contribute. We have so much fun and everyone is very welcoming. We were all newbies at some point. I think I have links to various peoples pics of former swaps..........
    I thought I had 3 but only found 2.....

http://photobucket.com/albums/0603/dtpforu/Garner%20Plant%20Swap%202004/?

http://jimmythrasher.com/gallery/album32

• woodsworm
    19 years ago

Looks like we could use some more tea. I have a great big tea-bucket. We need sweet and unsweet, and I don't want to bring but one kind. I'll fill my cooler with sweet tea if someone else will take care of the unsweetened tea.

Can't wait!

• tamelask
    19 years ago

oh, do convince him to come! there'll be lots of folks to visit with. my kids like the food & friends best. there's some nice walking paths if he gets bored. my kids are bringing/riding their bikes. not sure how old yours is.

the salsa is fresh, small chunks, not pureed & not cooked(i hate the cooked stuff). it's not real hot, but has a little burn. we've gotten lots of compliments before, and i'll be making a huge batch. ditto on the guac.

• brock4739
    19 years ago

Another newbie here. I posted on the "10 days till the swap" thread, but if this is more appropriate.....Hmmmm, what to bring....my husband loves to cook, maybe i can convince him to cook and/or come with me. If not, everyone still likes hotdogs, right. I can bring chips (non-cooker). What do you think? Let me know. I'm starving!!!

• brenda_near_eno
    19 years ago

I will absolutely be there, so I can bring non-cook items we need - cups, plates, forks, ships, sodas? - just give me a list please.

• rootdiggernc
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Woods, sweet tea sounds great I'll add a gallon of unsweet tea (just in case) and a gallon of water to my list.

Brock, if hubby likes to cook, he'll feel at home with this gang because they like to eat. So he needs to come along. A lot of us bring other halves. He can surprise us! If you decide on hotdogs, the park does have grills. Anything is really fine with our gang.

Brenda, I haven't had anyone mention plasticware- forks/spoons, or cups. We also still need chips for the salsa and other dips and it never hurts to have some extra plates and napkins.

If anyone has a specific soda they'd like instead of tea or one of the yummy lemon/limeades folks have mentioned above, bring it along.

I think we're pretty set. If anyone else wants to bring something, just grab what you'd like and come on.

• brock4739
    19 years ago

ok plasticware, cups, chips, husband. Got it!

• trianglejohn
    19 years ago

I may not have told you in the past but even though all the photos of past swaps show me with food in one hand and a plant in the other (ok, maybe they both had food), I actually have health problems that make me extra careful around certain foods. My hiatal hernia acts up around super sweet things and sour food and anything acid can be a no-no (at last years Tomatopalooza I didn't taste a single t'mater for fear of the consequences) and it can be bad to completely fill my tummy...... BUT NOT ANYMORE!!! the new fancy schmansy pills the belly doctor gave me have solved all these problems!! so if you people think you are gonna get a chance at any of the lemonade or chocolate ecclair cake you got another thing comin'! The pills may cost over $5 per pill but come Saturday morning I'll be primed for a picnic feeding frenzy! watch out.

• tietie
    19 years ago

Jivyjoys, the fall swap was my first one since I too moved here last August. Let me just say, this is a very generous group. Everyone made me feel very welcome and the food was good too. But I did miss out on the chocolate eclair cake :(

• mrsgardener
    19 years ago

Hello all! I am going to try to attend this year. Last year, I got lost. This year, I will be Better prepared! LOL!----Donna

• rootdiggernc
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Hi Donna and welcome. Always glad to see new folks joining us.

Is everybody ready!!

• jeane
    19 years ago

Hi,
    It's almost time ... looking forward to seeing all of you, and learning some the great plant info.

I'll bring a few bottles of coke, a citrus pudding cake and my toboggans.

If you think we have enough desserts just let me know. We all be eating the chocolate elcair cake anyway!!! Shannon maybe we'll need 2 lol.
    John do we needs signs, name tags, garden pictures etc?

C ya soon,
    Jeanne

• trianglejohn
    19 years ago

I'm gonna run out an get some name tags, tape, markers, sticky labels/popsicle sticks. I have some cardboard sheets to stick garden photos on and hopefully won't run out of tape.

I have some cheap push-in-the-ground type signs but I don't really know if I want everyone driving by to see signs for a plant swap (we have sooo many people already coming). What do ya'll think? I can scratch out easy signs no problemo but not sure I wanna use these sign posts that way. I was thinking about using them to designate the different types of plants in the swap instead.

• tyndall
    19 years ago

humn... John, if you wanted to use them for directions you wouldn't have to put plant swap on them. We could have a code word, like tj's shindig or something.

• nancyofnc
    19 years ago

I think it would be a good idea for all the GW's to put a tag on the plants they bring with their screen name. I did that last year and got five emails from people who chose my stuff and had some questions about site, moisture, and die-back in winter. Yes, we can look it up in Horti-plex but the one who grew it really knows the local environment and how it performs here.

Nancy

• tamelask
    19 years ago

it's so very easy to get to the park i wouldn't worry with it, john. or you could use tyndall's idea. "tj's shindig" may get a few lookers wantin' some pig, though! :)
    glad you'll be able to truely enjoy the food this go round. course there may not be much left for anyone else....

nan, i think it's an awesome idea to put our 'handles' on the back. i'm doing it with my stuff. i know i asked trina some ?'s about plants of hers i got last fall.

just got the avocadoes today for the guac. they are really, really hard. cross your collective fingers they ripen to the point i can use them sat. i may have to do a chunky kind if they aren't soft enough.

• tyndall
    19 years ago

nancedar - I second that idea. I emailed a few questions out last time. It was really handy knowing who the plant came from. BTW, I still have a few popsickle sticks sprouting in my garden with nancedar on the back!

• tietie
    19 years ago

I have not so great news :(

We have to go out of town tomorrow unexpectedly and it is questionable whether I'll be back in time for the swap. Definitely not enough time to make the Dove's Nest White Chicken Chili and get all my plants together. Sorry to dissappoint those that were looking forward to the chili but I hope you can understand. I just hope I can make it at all.

Tanya

• rootdiggernc
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Jeanne that sounds good! Thanks for your help.

John, Maybe put just one at the park entrance or something. Just do what ever you think best on the signs. We have a resourceful bunch. Remember the traffic jam we created the year of the body?... and then someone had to taxi folks to the new location! LOL...

Tanya, I already posted on the other thread, but just in case you haven't had the time to check over there. Don't worry abt the chili, just come if you can!

• ratgirl
    19 years ago

I'm bringing a gallon and a half of sweet tea and two quarts of unsweet tea (with Splenda packets). Sorry I'm late responding. If there's an overload of people bringing tea, write me with suggestions, as I haven't made it yet.

Thanks -- Carla