SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
misssherryg

In This Red Hot Weather......

13 years ago

the red admiral caterpillars have gotten even redder!

{{gwi:532233}}
I noticed a red admiral flitting around the nectar plants in my front yard, so I checked the false nettles later on, only to find her there laying an egg. I came back later and couldn't find the egg/s, not surprising since the plants are covered with those flower/seed things that drop little egg looking things all over the plants - like my scientific way of describing this? :) I looked for cats and found several, all in two's - two for each stem where I found them, except one was dead. I brought them in, along with the big one in the picture. This one is REALLY red - maybe it's the hot weather?

Speaking of the weather, it's been unbearably hot and humid - rains for the past three days have cooled down the temps, but it still feels like a sauna out there. I'm down to just luna moth cats, so I was glad to find these red admirals. I've released quite a few giant, black and pipevine swallowtails lately, though, so maybe I'll be getting some eggs from them. Speaking of pipevine swallowtails, the ones I've recently released are considerably bigger than the spring groups and MUCH bigger than the overwintering group - these were as big, maybe a little bigger, than spicebush swallowtails! Again, maybe the heat has something to do with this? I didn't get any pictures, because they all flew out of the cage too fast, and didn't land nearby and pose for me.

It's better that I'm not raising too many caterpillars, since I'm still raising babies of the canine sort. When I was taking the picture of the red admiral cat, my 3-month-old-today cavalier watched me intently - forgive me, but I think she's darling!

{{gwi:532234}}
How are things where you are? Hot, probably!

Sherry

Comments (14)

Sponsored