SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rootdiggernc

Fav Gardens and Sights to see in the Carolinas

rootdiggernc
16 years ago

I really believe there are a lot of hidden jewels in the Carolinas that many of us would enjoy if we knew about them. DH and I love to take little mini trips around the state, even into South Carolina when we have a couple or three days.

So where are the places you like to go when you have an extra moment to breath? I put it over here so it doesn't all have to be 'garden' related and some of my fav scenic/garden spots were certainly not planted by man.

some of ours...

Newland, NC and vicinity - I have a sis up there and use to live just across the state line in TN so we've tromped all over up there. Get away from the tourist traps and check out the mountains and back roads. It doesn't matter what season it is, there's always something to see,... I think of it as God's garden display! It's exquisite!

Swan Lake in Sumter, SC - this is what prompted this thread. Such a beautiful place and so few seem to know about it.

Old Hardware stores - ok this is strange, but DH and I have a thing about OLD timey hardware stores. They carry some great old gardening things, gizmos and gadgets, and I found some gallon sized canning jars at the one in Lexington, NC, great for storing things in. Black Mountain, NC has a neat one too. Lots of the old crocks and things that most people pay an extreme price for in the big cities because someone slapped an antique label on it.

Salem Lake in Winston Salem. I had never been there until a few weeks ago. Very pretty along the water and if you get back off the main trail it's nice too. Saw some pretty little frozen waterfalls along the way.

Riverbanks Zoo and Botanical Garden in Columbia, SC. I think it's great the way they put the two places right next to each other! Feeding the lorakeets was the highlight!! I think I had 7 or 8 of them perched all over me at one point. They sell little cups of sugar water, which you take into the cage and they come flying to drink out of it. Some will wait their turn on your shoulders, head, where ever they can find a perch. Oh and They're having an Orchid Festival in Feb! They also have plants sales!

{{gwi:546200}}

Which brings me to a place I've never been but will be checking out sometime in the near future! Lakewhysc posted a thread about the new Orchad Conservatory at the Daniel Stowe Botanical Garden. Magnificent is an understatement!!

Comments (10)