SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sultry_jasmine_nights_fl9

Here We Go! (pics)

Here's a few photos of what's blooming around here lately. Some is just foilage. The brugs in order are : Lemon Meringue, Mon Amour, Goldfinch, Miss Behavin, New Orleans Lady, Adeline, and little Tootsie doing her thing lol. Also my dd's cornsnake :)

{{gwi:517570}}

{{gwi:517572}}

{{gwi:517574}}

{{gwi:517575}}

{{gwi:500797}}

{{gwi:517576}}

{{gwi:517577}}

{{gwi:517578}}

{{gwi:517579}}

{{gwi:517580}}

{{gwi:517581}}

{{gwi:517582}}

{{gwi:517583}}

{{gwi:517584}}

{{gwi:517586}}

Comments (15)

• karyn1
    15 years ago

It's all so pretty. I love your gloriosa lily. I lost mine this year. I sunk the pot inground and we had a late frost. I'll check in the fall and see if the tubers are still there. Is the pink and yellow spike of flowers a Dancing Ladies ginger? Your medillina is spectacular. I can't seem to grow one here. I lost one in the winter (inside) and have another small one that doesn't appear to be too long for this world : ( How big is your DD's snake? It looks to be a pretty good size.
    Karyn

• oxmyx
    15 years ago

Wonderful! I hope you will consider trading with me this fall! you have some nice brugs and EEs.

• gardenpaw
    15 years ago

Very pretty!
    Your DD snake does look big!
    Thank you for sharing!
    Karen

• pagrdnr
    15 years ago

Very nice! Everything looks so exotic. That Lemon Meringue is a cool looking brug. I also like the unique coloration on the Mon Amour, most pics I've seen of it are darkr pink, yours has a neat blend of colors. I love pics!
    Shawn

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Karyn1,
    the ginger is Dancing Ladies (globba winitii), I can't take credit for the bloom because I just got it, but I love it! HD had them mis-marked as curcuma and mixed in with other gingers that were curcumas for @ 4 dollars and something. The medinilla likes alot of humidity. It is supposed to be easy to root. If yours dies let me know and I will try and root you another one after it stops blooming:)

Barry, Of course I will trade this fall:) I finally got all these plants into the ground so they can get some size on them. You can practically watch stuff grow about 4 inches a day here, all the rain has helped, and the milorganite too~the brugs, nanners, and EE's LOVE it!)
    The ee's in the photo are, left to right: Maui Magic (colocasia), Hilo Beauty (alocasia but now some say it may be a caladium hybrid), and black magic (it has a seedpod-not sure if there are actually seeds yet though cuz the pod is not getting much bigger :(

gardenpaw/karen,
    Thanks. My dd cornsnake is about 3 ft long now, it was really small when she first got it. It just looks really big in the close up pic. He *thinks* he is a big evil snakey tho lol. I still won't feed him myself!

Shawn,
    Thanks for the nice comments. I like Lemon Meringue too. I have only had a few blooms so far but one was a quadruple! They start out white and keep dropping the yellow skirts and then they fade to cream. The Mon Amour can be a little darker pink but definitely has some peachy tones to it. It has sort of a seersucker-like appearance to some of the blooms. I think alot depends on the weather and how the blooms look (lighter or darker). She likes full sun and will get leggy without it.

~Lenette

• Central_Cali369
    15 years ago

That's an awesome medinilla magnifica! I tried growing one, but it dies. Here, they would have to be strictly for indoors, since our air is so dry and this plant obviously likes humid conditions.

• threas
    15 years ago

Lenette, everything looks wonderful! Beautiful and exotic!!!Gotta love that Tootsie!

Theresa

• lovelyiris
    15 years ago

Oh my gosh Lenette, I want one of everything you have and three or four of most. LOL I can't wait to see my own double and triples bloom if that is indeed what I got for my money. So far it's not looking too good. All my brugs that are blooming are singles. (frown) Needless to say I'm somewhat disappointed with not having doubles blooming. But someone told me that I may still have a couple of doubles that they take longer to bloom than the singles. I think I'll give all of them another shot of fertilizer and see what happens.

All of your plants look so healthy and makes my mouth water with envy just lookiing at them. Keep up the good work!
    Marian

• jeep461
    15 years ago

Beautiful. You have the touch. You move all they way across the country to a new place plant them and now have bloom prettier than I can grow.

I am working on it here. LOL You should give us some of your secrets.

• fool4flowers
    15 years ago

I want you to come give me lessons. I bet you could make by brugs bloom here since you can do it anywhere you live, lol. Gotta find you a job close by, lol. You have the touch for sure.

• gee8ch
    15 years ago

Lenette: What FAB. blooms. You certainly know how to grow your Brugs. I'm with Barry, and will be begging a trade with you come pruning time!!! ;0) Thanks for sharing the gorgeous pictures. Gloria

• chena
    15 years ago

Everything looks awesome.. Rain?? what is that??? LOL Thanks for posting all of your wonderful pic's they have brightened my day...
    Kylie

• eloise_ca
    15 years ago

I LOVE all your plants Lenette, especially your brugs and EEs! Had to look up medinilla because I didn't know which one it was -- very pretty. Thanks.

• daniellalell
    15 years ago

Everything is gorgeous Lennette! Your place must be heaven!
    Your DD's corn snake is awesome!
    Thanks for sharing!

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Central Cali,
    I agree it was probably the humidity. I think the medinilla is one of those who love that "melt-your-face-off-humidity" lol. I had a different variety before in AZ and that one hated it there. I read they are supposed to be like epiphytes in thier natural enviornment (phillipines). It must be really humid there because this one is planted in dirt and drys out really bad anyways despite the humidity and daily watering.

Teresa,
    I like Tootsie too. A few of her blooms are a little deformed looking at times but some are really pretty. Sometimes they get real yellowish streaks through them and they always hang very horizontal. I will try to find the photos of her more yellowish colors

Marian,
    Are you talking about the FR brugs? I gave mine to my mom because I didn't think they would be what they were supposed to be either. Two of them bloomed and were singles for her-both light pink. I hope yours come out double. Which ones did you get?

Jim,
    Its probably all the rain. I gave them all milorganite twice so far. It really stinks but they love it- greens them up and they put on a ton of growth. I was afraid it might slow down the flowering, to have so much nitrogen so then I gave them some bloom booster, epsom, and superthrive mixed for fert.-then they all started blooming. I also gave them the Worm-Poo Tea and they seemed to like that too.

F4F,
    Thanks. Sure anytime lol. From the last pics of your flower beds it looks like you are doing a good job, I am jealous of your pond! Did you ever find that HI Wood Rose?

Gloria,
    I bet we will all have lots to trade this fall. I am trying to add more perennials and eclectic things to my garden this year (per my new years resolution-remember that thread? LOL!)

Chena,
    I know what you mean, the last place I lived, it would rain less than an inch all year! We got here and it rained that much in a half an hour lol. I wish it would dry out though because all the maters and peppers are rotting from it. Roses are real hard to grow here too because of the blackspot :(

eloise,
    Thanks. I am trying to get more aroids especially EE's into my garden this year. I love them because they always look great and you don't have to wait for them to bloom! The medinilla buds will open up more and turn into flower-like bracts. They still look the same today, I will post another photo when they open more. I am really lazy when it comes to posting pics....I'm trying to be better!

Hi Daniella,
    Thanks. Your place looks great too from all your photos! I still like your variegated weed and Love your green echinacea.

~Lenette