SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
misssherryg

Albino Gulf Frit Cat & More

MissSherry
14 years ago

When I walked through the gate late this afternoon I noticed an odd looking caterpillar on the 'Amethyst' passionvines, a white one! I assume this is an albino, since I don't know what else it could be. Zebra longwing cats become white at some point, but in their earliest instars, they look like gulf frits - this is a very early instar cat, probably second instar. Here's a picture I took before I brought it in to raise -

{{gwi:531042}}
I wish I knew what it was that makes buttonbush flowers so attractive to tiger swallowtails. At any time of the day, I can walk out to the buttonbush and find at LEAST three of them, and I've seen as many as nine. Other butterflies nectar there occasionally, and tigers nectar occasionally on other flowers, particularly lantana and butterfly bush, but their overwhelming preference for buttonbush is a mystery to me! The buttonbush is so tall now that I can't get good pictures of them on it, but one of them ventured off the bush to an open, damp soil area and stayed there for hours -

{{gwi:531549}}
I've been releasing a steady stream of gulf frits, giant swallowtails (three yesterday), I'm raising some luna moth cats, and one extreme late bloomer black swallowtail cat. The other black swallowtails pupated quite a while ago, and I'm looking forward to most of them emerging soon. This one particular cat hardly grew any at all at first, while the other ones were growing fast. It's finally reached about the 3rd or 4th instar.

Yesterday I released the first spicebush swallowtail in a while, a blue-gray male -

{{gwi:473541}}
Sherry

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living