SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
misssherryg

Cloudless Sulphurs Everywhere!

MissSherry
14 years ago

I've read that cloudless sulphurs/Phoebis sennae migrate in the fall, and they must have already started, because I'm seeing them everywhere! Turk's cap/Malvaviscus drummondii is their old nectaring favorite and it's blooming profusely, and my new firebush/Hamelia patens with its reddish orange blooms is quickly becoming a second favorite - the hummers go to it a lot, too. The sulphurs also use the purple porterweed and the red pentas a lot.

I let volunteer sicklepods/Cassia obtusifolias that come up in my garden stay, because the sulphurs like it better for egg laying than they do the Christmas cassia/C. bicapsularis, although they use the Christmas cassias, too. Sicklepod is supposed to be an annual, and I know it does come up from seed here, but I've got several that have been coming up in the exact same place every spring for he past five or six years, so I think they may be a perennial here, too. I brought in a cat, and I'm happy to find out that sicklepod stays fresh in water better than Christmas cassia. The cat is green but it's starting to eat some of the flowers, so it might be sort of lime green by the time it pupates.

{{gwi:521429}}
I find adult sulphurs very hard to photograph, so I'll just post a picture from last year - this one was on turk's cap, naturally!

{{gwi:457787}}
Sherry

Comments (31)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor